Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Don't toss those old Venetian blinds!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Don't toss those old Venetian blinds!

Postby oldgal75 » May 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Don't toss those old Venetian blinds, they can be useful in the garden. The slats can be removed and are weather-proof, permanent marker stays more or less permanent on them and they can easily be cut into sections with ordinary scissors. I keep a box of them in my garden shed to have handy when I need them. The older a gardener gets the harder, sometimes, it is to remember what and where everything is, especially in the early spring when identification by barely visible shoots is at its most difficult!

I cut the blind slats into short sections and cut one end into an inverted V which makes it sharp enough to stick into the soil with a plant name written on it. I sometimes use an ordinary hole punch to make a hole at one end to tie a string through for those plants I intend to dig up once they have more or less died back (tulips for instance if I'm trying to keep track of which colours are where). I seem to keep coming up with new uses for these slats and don't like to think that some of them end up in land fills just because I haven't bothered to share this tip.

Some of us, the more obsessive types! even remove the lowest, un-needed slats of new Venetian blinds. Don't toss those either - they make even nicer, newer, cleaner garden markers.
oldgal75

Re: Don't toss those old Venetian blinds!

Postby Justanotherider » May 29, 2014 11:03 pm

You can often mooch messed up blinds from a drapery store, or score them for next to nothing at yard sales. If you're not too fussy about appearances, you can just bend them a couple of times with your fingers to snap them into usable lengths. I write on them with industrial sharpies which last the whole season. I find them handy for marking the colours of my gladiolus, so I can keep the colours separated in storage and plant them in like groups the next year.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby MorningGlory » Jul 28, 2014 6:55 pm

I just started using these slats this spring. LOVE the idea and confused why I hadn't heard of this in all my years of gardening and all my years of replacing venetians!

I just make one cut (lazy? productive?)to a sharp point and use Sharpie permanent marker to write what I'm planting.

This is likely the most useful trick I've come across in a long time. After years of gardening, sometimes I think I planted 'this' there but then realize "oh, those were there LAST year".

(this thread is a few months old but contributed anyway)
MorningGlory

Postby davegrass » Aug 20, 2014 2:32 am

Thats a great idea. My mother in law has just replaced hers - I might have to grab those blinds before they're dumped now :D
davegrass

Postby Countryboy » Aug 21, 2014 8:59 am

I've been using up the slats that I cut up over 10 years ago. I've still got lots of markers left! :) A Sharpie is good initially, but for lasting thru sun and rain, pencil is best.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas