Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

snake repellants

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

snake repellants

Postby haili » Jul 30, 2014 7:52 am

What works to repel snakes from around the garden and house? Has anyone had any luck with anything? I am phobic about them and they ruin my enjoyment of the garden, plus I'm afraid they might get into the house, just as mice do.
haili

Re: snake repellants

Postby artknapp » Jul 30, 2014 10:38 am

For using natural snake repellants without harming the environment, you can use naphthalene ingredients like moth balls. Otherwise use sprays and other chemical products use in market to repel snakes. Before that keep you garden clean and regularly clear away all the piles of leaves and debris from your gardening area.
artknapp

Postby haili » Jul 30, 2014 12:12 pm

artknap: thanks. I just picked up some moth sachets this morning and put some in the garage. I have wasp and hornet spray that might work on contact (fingers crossed) but didn't find anything else at the co-op. The garden is like a jungle now but when it freezes, I plan to cut a lot of stuff back, though the yew bushes will have to stay. I don't want to kill any plants.
haili

Postby Countryboy » Aug 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Aw, Haili... no need to carry Wasp or Hornet spray. When u go into the garden, just pick yourself an elegant walking stick. Perfectly effective with Snakes. And way less harmful to insects. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas