Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Planning for a future Veg. Garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Planning for a future Veg. Garden

Postby Prairieboy » Aug 21, 2014 1:38 pm

We have just moved into what will be our retirement property in southern Manitoba, and are doing the landscaping. In retirement, which is 5-10 years away, we want to do some larger scale vegetable gardening but we don't have the time to maintain a large garden yet. The plan is to move in the necessary initial quantities of soil now, while we can access things easily with bobcats, and leave the areas for future use. We are trying to decide what to do with the area we don't want to use yet, and are looking for planting options that will be low maintenance but removable when we want to expand. I don't want to sod or seed as I can't justify all the watering required to establish something I plan to rip out. What would anyone suggest we plant here? The whole area is about 20' x 100' with full sun and we want to be able change it to gardens a bit at a time as our abilities and time constraints allow. (My first thought was prairie grasses bit I don't know how easy it will be to remove them down the road.)
Thanks for your input!
Prairieboy

Re: Planning for a future Veg. Garden

Postby tricone » Aug 25, 2014 3:04 pm

If you are willing to try fruit instead of veg, why not do raspberries and/or blackberries? They require essentially zero maintenance if you're willing to let them 'shrub up'.

I've also discovered lately that some cherry tomatoes will happily grow with minimal maintenance or input, and will self-seed very prolifically. Last year I razed a former vegetable patch but this year I was surprised to find tomatoes growing feral, almost as thickly as they did the previous year when I planted them deliberately... The tomatoes are smaller than they were when I was actively watering and fertilizing the area in question, but you can't say no to a small crop of tomatoes which cost you nothing!
tricone

Re: Planning for a future Veg. Garden

Postby artknapp » Aug 28, 2014 8:14 am

If you are planning short term gardening, then try vegetable gardening. Tomatoes, pepper, onion, garlic etc. are some vegetables those can get you returns in short terms.
artknapp

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas