Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Planting vertically

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Planting vertically

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Mar 06, 2008 8:11 am

Okay I need some ideas to get me growing more vertically. I have this "thing" for vines (I really really like them) and the yard is full of perennials and annuals, so I think I have to start growing upwards. Any good ideas out there for building something that will help me get more plants growing? I need some oblisks I think and maybe a stand of sorts to put some more potted plants on...............any ideas are welcome. Olivia, who never stops looking up!
Olivia
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but, how to dance in the rain."
Olivia zone 6

Postby Guest » Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am

Hello Olivia
I am having the same problem.I have a magazine that has directions for an Obelisk for a large pot.It was very easy and cheap to make.You need 6 strips of wood,2 quilting hoops 12 or 14 inch ones and a finial in which a piece of dowel has been inserted into the bottom to which the strips of wood are attached to.A few small srews to hold the wood to the quilting hoops.The legs are pushed down into the soil,and just plant the vines.Sorry no camera to show you this.Its a start but would love to hear more ideas,also.

Postby Venice » Mar 06, 2008 4:47 pm

Ohhh I love vines too. I saw at Can Tire, they have this expandable bamboo trellis. You can open it up to all different configurations. I don't see why couldn't use it as a small fence, or put it up against the fence to get plants to grow up.

You can also keep your eyes peeled this spring at garage sales for vertical items you can put in your garden. Even a shepherds hook, could have a vine climb up and over it. I almost got 4 black iron obelisks that were 4' high at a garage sale, but the person in front of me bought them all, I was sooo upset. I offered him $5 ea. ahahah he didn't take it, so I'm gonna keep my eyes out.

Ven
Venice

Postby (old_user)Nancy S in Winnipeg » Mar 13, 2008 9:46 am

Lee Valley has flexible tripod caps; just add stakes and you have a ready-made obelisk. They also sell terracotta finials (those would have to come in for the winter.)

I just bought some to add height to my yard. I was thinking I would spray some rebar with Tremclad and add Scarlet Runner beans to my front yard. Or you could use copper pipe or those carbine garden stakes (as pictured).

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... 33282&ap=1[/url]
Tiny urban garden, protected by attack cat named Smack. Beware of cat.
(old_user)Nancy S in Winnipeg

Postby butterfly » Mar 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Nancy S in Winnipeg wrote:Lee Valley has flexible tripod caps; just add stakes and you have a ready-made obelisk. They also sell terracotta finials (those would have to come in for the winter.)

I just bought some to add height to my yard. I was thinking I would spray some rebar with Tremclad and add Scarlet Runner beans to my front yard. Or you could use copper pipe or those carbine garden stakes (as pictured).

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... 33282&ap=1[/url]

These are nice Nancy

I have made them for vines

When the kids were small, we made 7 , , 7 foot poles out of alders. first we dug 7 holes in the ground and as I placed each pole in T P style, we pour concrete in each to hole to hold the pole in place

Hubby was helping me . Then he tied the poles together with strong twine at the top

actually made a TP frame. I pounded nails along the poles here and there before we put them in the concret

Then planted 3 or 4 scarlet runners beans around each pole and 2-3 morning glory seeds as well

Thtat many seeds made the vines with very thick growth

The purpose of the nails was for the vines to hook onto as they grew.

It turned out really very nice and the kids used it as a Play house.

They could crawl right in and sit down.

They had a lot of fun in it and it looked pretty too

It didn't cost a whole lot . The poles stayed in place for years.

I just might do the same this year but just use 3 poles but make 3-4 of these. And be a bit lazy and buy the poles
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Like those ideas

Postby gallivant » Mar 25, 2008 12:30 am

Hi I'm new here and been looking more than posting so far... so much to read, so many beautiful pictures to view...

Nancy S, I like the cap for rebar or stakes, that is quick! I'll have to pull out my last Lee Valley cataloque.

Also, butterfly, the stakes to make a sort of teepee are also intriguing, especially when it grows really thick with the vines, I can just envision it... any pictures?
gallivant

Postby everchnginggrden » Mar 25, 2008 10:14 am

Costco or Sam's Club sometimes has those rod iron fences at not a bad price. I've often thought of picking up three and making a triangle in the middle of the garden with vines planted inside growing up and low shrubs around it. Hmmm, maybe I'll go out and check that this year! Thanks for reminding me.

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Postby Eeyore » Mar 25, 2008 12:17 pm

I am planning on going vertical in several places too.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Speaking of vertical planting, Olivia, was it you who had Cypress Vine?????

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Mar 25, 2008 11:20 pm

That would be a good yes! And I still have some seeds that cold be had! Are you interested? O
Olivia
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but, how to dance in the rain."
Olivia zone 6

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas