Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Morning Glories

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Morning Glories

Postby Lindamct » Apr 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Carol, Bluebird, Lyn or someone? My morning glory seedlings are ready to climb. I want to transplant them into the next size peat pot, with a little trellis. I was wondering how far up the stem can I plant them. Are they kinda like planting a tomato plant up to the first true leaves or so, or not that far?
Lindamct

Postby Eeyore » Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm

I really don't know Linda. Kelly might know though. I started mine outside last year. I found trying to start them early for transplanting was a big pain in the astilbe! They always end up being overgrown. I will be starting my Moonflowers ahead of time though. I'm giving them one more try!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Carol 4B » Apr 07, 2008 6:40 pm

If the package for your Morning Glories recommended using the peat pots it is because they don't like to be transplanted. All I did with mine last year was to pick up some green bamboo sticks up at the 'dollar' store, cut them into about 2 ft lengths and stuck them in the peat pots. Wrapped the Morning Glories around the sticks using small pieces of plant velcro (you could use strips from nylons/panty hose). When they were getting near the top of the sticks, I pinched them off, and they produced side shoots and got quite bushy.
"Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live."
Carol 4B

Postby Lindamct » Apr 07, 2008 9:48 pm

thanks, Lyn, Carol. Well I stuck a plastic stake into my 6" pots. I did the
'Durgan' method with the coffee filters in the bottom of the pots, and then filled with soil. So far so good. Now, just thinking~~~~dagnabit dagney~~~~those coffee filters were too small for 6 inch pots :oops: When the time comes, I am just gonna have to so carefully tap out the morning glories with coffee filters hopefully stuck nicely to the roots :lol: :)
Lindamct

Postby Carol 4B » Apr 08, 2008 10:05 am

lindamct wrote:thanks, Lyn, Carol. Well I stuck a plastic stake into my 6" pots. I did the
'Durgan' method with the coffee filters in the bottom of the pots, and then filled with soil. So far so good. Now, just thinking~~~~dagnabit dagney~~~~those coffee filters were too small for 6 inch pots :oops: When the time comes, I am just gonna have to so carefully tap out the morning glories with coffee filters hopefully stuck nicely to the roots :lol: :)

I wouldn't worry about the coffee filters; they should decompose quite nicely once your morning glories are planted into the garden.
"Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live."
Carol 4B

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 20, 2008 6:48 pm

Lyn Don't give up on the moonflowers.I've tried to grow them all my gardening life.This year I have had two germinate so far.I have them in the oven with only the light on.Nick them and soak over one night before planting.JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Venice » Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I did that with the mini trellis, works great, but they tipped over. So make sure your pots are big enough to hold their weight.

(see Morning Glory Massacre in 'Plant Talk')

Ven
Venice

Postby Lindamct » Apr 20, 2008 8:26 pm

:lol: OMG Ven, MG Massacre, sorry but I I I I, :o can't quite control my laughing right now. It's just the way you told your story that has me in quite fine fetter....thanks :D. My MG are doin' ok right now, however still tryin' to figure out a way i'm gonna get them from the 6" pot into the hole in the gardens. :lol: . Coffee filters are at the bottom, not quite 6" as i said :lol: . T'is the fun of gardening, right gang. Trial and Error as Daddy would always say. :) . Now....back to the game. Guess I'm going for the Sharks tonight....ahhh well.
Lindamct

Morning Glorys

Postby Kim1 » Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I planted my morning glorys from seed inside to get them started. I live in NL so the summers are late coming and kinda short. Once the plant started to really grow for the sun I just used on long sticks of bamboo. As the plant grew I wrapped it around the stick. Once the weather was warm enough I transplanted it all outside and attached the vine to my lattice. It worked great.
Kim1

Postby murphy » Apr 28, 2008 6:44 pm

I like the coffee filter tip...think I will use that one.

Another tip is if you buy the bamboo skewers from the grocery store intended for kebabs...they make perfect sticks for the mg to run up till they get outside...you get about 100 of them in a bag for just a few dollars...one end is already sharpened so they stick easily into the peat pots.
murphy

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas