Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

lawn needs a facelift...

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

lawn needs a facelift...

Postby lirpamorningdew » Apr 09, 2008 6:35 pm

I have a very lumpy lawn--to the point where I am concerned about my children or myself twisting an ankle just walking to the shed. We have lived here about five years, and it has gotten progressively worse over that time. The lawn is a long established (30+ years) expanse of what is affectionately known as "farm grass"--a mix of unknown grasses, clover, dandelions, etc. We live in a rural town with a very high water table, and have had flooding and drought from year to year, if that gives any clues. I do not water the lawn heavily. Does this give anyone any ideas about what might be causing this problem? Any ideas for prevention? repairing? I supplicate the all- knowing wisdom of those with way more experience than me!!
lirpamorningdew

Postby Eeyore » Apr 09, 2008 10:46 pm

How large and area are you talking about? I can think of a couple of ways to remedy the situation. For a small area you can put down some a thin layer of top soil in the low areas and then toss some grass seed on and let it fill in. This works for a city sized lot that doesn't need a lot of work but it can be time consuming for a larger area.
Another option is to till the whole thing and then either seed or sod.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby lirpamorningdew » Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm

we're talking about a quarter acre, total.
That's kind of what I've been thinking--load of topsoil, pack it down a bit, maybe with one of those rollers, reseed.
Really am wondering about the cause though, as I can't/don't want to do this every few years (no time or money!)
lirpamorningdew

Postby Eeyore » Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Older lawns often aren't well taken care of and over time the soil compacts and creates those little hillocks. Lots of traffic on the lawn, mice and voles digging holes and then they collapse.... any number of reasons.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby (old_user)Nancy S in Winnipeg » May 07, 2008 11:16 am

If by lumpy lawn you mean you have lots of narrow hard ridges, I think I know what your problem is. Dew worms!

The good news is that the ridges are created by worm castings which will fertilize your lawn.

The bad news is that there is no long term solution.

Many years ago I answered phones for an exterminator. So, after I had relayed many messages about dew worms, I asked, too. I was told that there were treatments (read chemicals) that would drive them from your yard temporarily. However, once the chemicals were diluted by watering, rain and time the dew worms would return.

I will be dressing my lawn with topsoil in an attempt to make it smoother. I'm not sure how successful this will be.

Anyone else have an answer?
Tiny urban garden, protected by attack cat named Smack. Beware of cat.
(old_user)Nancy S in Winnipeg

Postby (old_user)Nancy S in Winnipeg » May 07, 2008 11:25 am

Oops! After I left my last mesage I found this article by Jim Hole.

http://www.enjoygardening.com/?m=200502
Tiny urban garden, protected by attack cat named Smack. Beware of cat.
(old_user)Nancy S in Winnipeg

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Dew worms are like walking on golf balls. You can't do it now because Diazanon is no longer available but our next door neighbor on the west coast had them & she treated her lawn full strength with diazanon(good grief). Those worms literally stood on end up out of the lawn. Also my brother-in-law poured a new cement driveway & again the dew worms came right up through the fresh cement to the surface.
The only other place I have seen them was in Calgary. The night before going fishing we would head to the neighbors yard with flashlights & pick a bucketful in no time flat. So hope your lawn problem is not dew worms.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Paul zone5 » May 10, 2008 6:03 pm

The problem is not likely dew worms. Their castings are not large enough to form hillocks. I'm not certain if it only happens in clay soil, but it has gotten progressively worse in my yard. We've lived in this house for 20 years, and now I'm afraid to let anyone under 6 years old out in the back yard without a rope tied around their waist in case they get lost.

The grass grows on the tops of the bumps, but not in the hollows between the bumps.
I tried rolling the lawn a couple of times, but it didn't help much. Maybe it is simply payback for my lazy lawn care.
Rolling and top dressing would probably help.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby Sheikea » May 14, 2008 10:02 am

When we moved in to our home we had the same prob hun.Matter of fact there was a dip so big it could swallow my car.Our solution we rotatilled it all up,packed it down with a bobcat (hubby works with that stuff all the time so was easy for him to level) Then we layed sod.IS wonderful to walk over now and no more fear of hurting ones self.. :D
Sheikea

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas