Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2008 5:35 pm

http://ubcsad.ca/

copy and paste into your search address.

This is University of BC, their SAD clinic...
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks Liz. I got it bad this year.....just went to my doc and he prescribed me some wellbutrin. I haven't been able to tolerate the SSRI's in the past years, this one is supposed to be diffferent. Wish me luck. I do have a light box, take SAMe, and various herbal sleep aides. But when it gets to feel like a slippery slope into a dark well, something stronger is needed.

Do you suffer from it, Liz?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby jazz » Nov 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks Liz. I am buying a light this week. I wanted one last year but life and bills got in the way. Thanks again. Jazz
jazz

Postby bluewillow » Nov 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Think many of us suffer from S.A.D. My doctor had. lights installed in the celings of the office. Makes it so much brighter I noticed. Thanks for the info Liz!

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Please please...all of you who suffer, and who are considering buying the light box, make sure you have had your eyes tested by an opthamalogist before you spend the money on the box. Macular degeneration is no fun.

No, I apparently do not suffer from SAD, but I do get the winter blahs/blues...I sink as fast as a rock when it stays grey and dreary for long...but a day of sunshine perks up my spirits reasonably quickly. We do get prolongued grey miserable weather here and can go many days without sunshine and I go down, down, down and do not want to get out of bed ever again. The quilting I'm doing helps me, I keep having to go out for supplies of this and that, and working with the bright happy colours is a big help to me.

Getting outside, getting exercise in fresh air, not staying home socially isolated...all will help. If it does not, see your doctor and tell the TRUTH about all of your feelings. Remember, you have friends who care about you here on this PATIO and remember your locality should have a Crisis Line.

For those like me with the blues/blahs, it is no fun either while it's happening and you have all of my sympathy that I'm not using up on myself (oh Woe is me!)

Trailblaze, you are much in my thoughts since this topic came up before on here...how good of you to be so open about it, you have probably helped several lurkseers by your open honesty, and you'll never even know it. God Bless you.

Note: "lurkseers" are the folks who come and look at our posts, but don't join in for whatever reason. Many lurk and see for a very long time before they jump in...I think all of us were lurkseers at one time or another.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby bluewillow » Nov 18, 2008 7:48 pm

...and within the month the days (light) will become longer, TB.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby orchidguy » Nov 18, 2008 11:24 pm

Trailblaze1

A lot of people I worked with had limited success with Wellbutrin. Seems the active ingredient (bupropion) can cause some wicked side effects, but you seem to be well informed. Consumers (pc for anyone living with a MI) need a forum to let others know exactly what they go through. The worse part in dealing with a MI is coming to terms with it yourself and not self stigmatization brought on by the general publics unawareness of it. To raise the awareness, we need people like you who are willing to talk about how devastating this "affliction" actually is. Bravo to you. SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are only a small part of a holistic approach to travelling the road to mental wellness. Non isolation is also a very positive step as Liz. has stated. I know I seem to be rambling, but this is my forte and am trying to say as much as I can without being too wordy. I wish you all the best of luck, and surrounded by caring people who can empathize is also very important. (doing it again.....blah,blah,sorry)

Dan
orchidguy

Postby Smitty » Nov 19, 2008 1:54 am

fantastic thread!!
Trailblaze. I applaud your self esteem to be able to speak openly about your illness.
I was worried at first when I saw 'wellbutrin' mentioned but see, like Dan said, you appear well informed.
people definitely have to rid the world of the stigmatism that MI is a 'disease to be steered clear off' .
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Catherine » Nov 19, 2008 10:37 am

Hello all. I was lurking (ha!) and had to put my two cents worth in. Good topic Liz.
I suffered horribly from SAD - along with depression and anxiety - for the longest time. About 13 years ago I started taking Luvox. It helped so much.
Decided to quit a couple of times ( something about taking the drug made me feel like a weakling - what's wrong with you - get over it - smarten up) - but went right back after a few weeks. Never again. As my doctor said - if you were diabetic would you give up the insulin? My brain works the way it works and there's nothing to do but take the medication.
The dull days - and I haven't seen the sun since Saturday - can still bring me down but they don't smother me any more. I can get out from under them and take a walk - see people - find something to laugh about. Without the medication, life - especially on the dark days - was a black hole with no escape. No one should have to suffer like that.
I have to echo Liz - if you can't get out from under please see your doctor and tell the TRUTH about the symptoms.
And God bless you.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm

G'mornin' Catherine, good to hear your voice again. I want to congratulate you on stopping beating yourself up when Life gives you a hard kick, GOOD for you! I am very glad your prescribed drug is working well for you and you feel good about yourself once more.

Big big hugs!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence