Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Postby Eeyore » Nov 22, 2008 12:12 am

BF, you have to realize that it isn't your fault, but do mention your fears to a family member or a doctor. People in the throes of depression will cast blame but you need to be strong enough to realize that you are doing the right thing FOR THEM even if it jepordizes your relationship.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » Nov 22, 2008 12:36 am

He has no family here but I should tell the nurses to tell his doc

he called tonight from the hospital. I don't know if they have him on a lot of meds cause he talked foolish as if he was on his puter but down right foolish. I know slightly a friend of his, I should go see him, can't call him because I only met him twice and can''t remember his last name so I need to drive there when we are plowed I know where his friend lives.

But then I know when I had my HA my kids told me I talked silly stuff it was meds

It is storming here terrible and blowing hard so I know I won't get out of here tomorrow 30-35 cm on it's way

But I think I have to tell his doc . I do know his doctor . this guy puts on a front too

We had coffee Monday and when someone came into Tims, he was joyful no one would know what is on his mind but I know how depressed he is

Thanks for the support
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Well, this is day 5 on wellbutrin. The side-effects seem minimal, but today I went to town to visit my folks in a nursing home; it was their Xmas bazaar and they shopped all the goodies they could find, loaded up my car. But coming home, I felt tired, shaky and weak. Got lost by taking a side road, and really felt disoriented for awhile, when I struggled to get back on a familiar highway.
Stopped at a grocery store to pick up juice which DH had asked for, and looked for something I could eat on the quick. Dang if it isn't hard to find something to eat in the grocery store that isn't so heavily packaged you need a knife to get into! I bought cheese slices, but when I got to the car to try to open them with my keys, no luck!.....had to break into the package of goodies my old folks bought me at the home.

Now I know how really elderly people must feel when they go out for a walk and get disoriented, lost. Quite scary! It was a 45 minute drive home for me via country roads and fields. It was so good to see familiar sights again.

Here's something to cheer up all SAD sufferers:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lwtnBm8glPE It's Rolf Harris on Youtube, singing Sun-arise. Very uplifting.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Thoughts:

Catherine...I call it "the black river" and it has been years, thank goodness. You are so right in saying, "fallen into a hole you can't climb out of"...blessings to you, woman.

Trailblaze...a couple of days ago I found myself in the potting shed with a new big bag of bird seed...no scissors of course, and a couple of pair of secaturs that didn't want to cut heavy duty plastic...my husb. carries a very small pocket box cutter always - I seem to store mine in the china cabinet near the knives, and scissors, in the kitchen. Frustration!!!

(the garden claw finally dug some holes thru the plastic, the dull pruners worked with the holes...Success!)

The joy of being on drugs that confuse things for you...a quit smoking drug for me has destroyed my appetite (GOOD) makes me really need naps (GOOD) and causes me to suddenly fall over (NOT GOOD) so I cannot drive (that's O.K.) Now if it just makes me stop smoking, or gives me the power, or or or. It does make me sharper when I am awake, and the Vitamin B-12 shot I get once a week seems to be giving me more energy.

Because it doesn't matter what is not going the way you want it to, if a prescription drug can change it for you, more power to it. I am talking about true misery here, not recreational drug use. I am proud of you, Trailblaze. And, I'm proud of everyone else here who is helping themselves through a very hard patch. Winter blues, winter blahs, are NOTHING like the pain of S.A.D. and other deep clinical depressions...if the things I mentioned are too trivial, are too ineffective, love yourself and go tell your doctor the truth. You are NOT a bad, nor are you a weak, person. You are just a person in trouble who needs a helping hand.

Loved the Rolf Harris song...he's one of my favourites, thank you!

Laura, so very true about the big brown eyes, black nose, and curly hair...they make such a huge difference and they give one so very much.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby butterfly » Nov 22, 2008 10:49 pm

I was diagnosed last week with the beginning of COPD do I am trying med to stop smoking

One needs to smoke while taking the meds for the first 10 days or sso

This is my 5th day. The meds are supposed to take the disire away about the 8-10th day

I am on a new med for RSD and it is supposed to increase my appietie and it is but it hasn't caused to gain an ounce yet nor it is taking away any pain and edema etc etc.

At $314 a month, you would think it would do something for me, But not

But I do hope the smoking meds work they cost $255 a month and I have to take it no less than 12 weeks maybe longer
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 22, 2008 11:07 pm

BF, how many times has it been that you were going to quit now? Damit girl, just quit & do not find excuses to start again.

I had high hopes for both you & Liz in the past - but.

My baby sister is killing herself with this curse & she has skirted death a few times already.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby butterfly » Nov 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Ron

Quitting smoking is not as easy as you think

It is every bit as addictive as cocaine

You know what they say one quits a 100 times then the 101 time it works.

I must be getting up there in count

I have been having a real problem breathing when exerting like stairs I could not discribe the pain in my lungs and to fight to breath again

I am being threatened with having to use oxigen which I will have to have a tank strapped to me and I am too young for that so I will do it this time

I don't like the visual in my mind of life ahead if I don't. Plus I live 24/7 in terrible violent pain now thoughout my body from RSD and now RA

I will do it this time I will. I have to and I want to live
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Blossom » Nov 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Butterfly - for the love of God - Get rid of those cigarettes. I have never said anything on this forum before what we have been dealing with here. My husband was diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2 years ago. He had a portion of his lung removed. Went for check-ups faithfully. This past summer it re-appeared. Spent 10 days in hospital. We have been going for chemo treatments weekly since Sept. Our lives have been a living hell. Seeing the number of people weekly at the chemo suite is over-whelming. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I beg all of your smokers. PLEASE do not do this to your family - your children - or your grandchildren. My husband hasn't had a cigarette for 2 1/2 years. He had the prescription "Zyban", which did definetly help. I don't want to see another member of our family go through this, so PLEASE GET HELP - I don't know how long my husband has, but the chemo treatments have shrunk his tumor for now. I do know there is no cure. This will give him some time, but how much I do not know.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby earwig » Nov 23, 2008 7:58 am

Blossom, I don't know what to say except I wish for you strength and to make every minute count.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby butterfly » Nov 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Blossum

I am sorry to hear of your hubby

Stay strong, I know both of you are and with God's Grace , hubby will be just fine and he will come through this horrible hard struggle ok

For me, yes I will be giving them up.

I am on CHampix so I have to follow what it says Next week sometime will be the date

I've tried eveything else

wellbutrin , that is Zyban, no wonder it didn't work for me
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence