Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Damn its cold.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Damn its cold.

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 22, 2008 10:43 am

Most folks get their fliers Thursday or Friday but we get ours Saturday if at all. Typically, the advertised specials are sold out before we even get the fliers. Thinking our fliers may be out there this morning I walked out to the end of the driveway to find nothing. Minus 22°C, cold as a Nuns kiss. :cry:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: Damn its cold.

Postby earwig » Nov 22, 2008 11:38 am

0.6 c outside my window right now... I would trade -22 for the almost a foot of wet snow I got last night. I call it heart attack snow as very hard to shovel.

In fact, enough of it for me to not even attempt to get to work as being on a dirt road, I don't expect to see a snow plough till early tomorrow.

I am getting to the age were slithering over a road to get to work is just plain foolishness vs a challenge.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby butterfly » Nov 22, 2008 12:42 pm

WE got about 8 inches down and it is now plus 3

I am going out to shovel now and yes it is very wet and heavy stuff

I was to work this afternoon in an hour but I can't get out of here til I am plowed

There is about a 2 foot roll across my driveway from the road plow.

Thunder and lightening woke me at 5 am and the moon was beautiful then and it stopped snowing
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby butterfly » Nov 22, 2008 1:03 pm

That is heart attack snow so darn heavy

I can't shovel that with my ribs, Geess that hurt
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby MLady » Nov 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Ron Evers wrote:Most folks get their fliers Thursday or Friday but we get ours Saturday if at all. Typically, the advertised specials are sold out before we even get the fliers. Thinking our fliers may be out there this morning I walked out to the end of the driveway to find nothing. Minus 22°C, cold as a Nuns kiss. :cry:

Ron there was a time when we didn't see a flyer for almost a year. That was until the new Sobeys was built down the road. I told the store manager and next thing I know, flyers showed up on my pourch. Since that time, they are delivered right to our porch, instead of at the end of the drive. I also get phone calls every Friday night asking if we got ALL our flyers.
My suggestion to you is to tell the manager of the store you shop in and maybe he can help.

Re: cold .... It's about 22F ... Brrrrrrr.... So cold out that it will freeze the brass balls off of a monkey.
Cheers,
Kathy
MLady

Postby bluewillow » Nov 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Ron, my flyers rarely arrive on time. However, you can usually go online and view most of them. Price Chopper, Food Basics, Canadian Tire .... the lot. Usually these are posted a day prior which gives you a heads up.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby joan w » Nov 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Usually, you can have the online fliers come to you automatically. That way you know you're going to get them, hopefully. ha ha
Image Image
joan w

Postby skwij » Nov 22, 2008 10:37 pm

According to the Weather Widget on the computer, it's -7. Bollocks, says I.

Feels a helluva lot colder than that! I'm still froze, and it's only November! Feels more like January to me.
skwij

Postby bluewillow » Nov 23, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm beginning to wonder about Global Warming.

However, milder today with actually a melt going on.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 23, 2008 5:49 pm

As to online advertising just hope that an outfit called "The Daily Deal"
isn't provided with your e-mail address. They will jam your e-mail box with multiple ads from Sobey's, Canadian Tire, Petro Canada, & on, & on. How did they get my e-mail address ? I'll tell you. Only two firms of the dozens have I ever had occasion to exchange e-mails with: Canadian Tire & Peto Can. Obviously, one of those two or both provided "The Daily Deal" with lists of anyone who happened to be in their e-mail data base. "The Daily Deal" have a provision in the ad to "unsubscribe".....except they never do. They totally ignore you & continue to plug your e-mail box.
Iam now in the process of returning the favor by plugging both their & their advertising clients mail boxes with demands to unsubscribe my e-mail listing. The advertisers get their own advertisement relayed back to them on a ratio of 50 to every one that I recieve.In the case of the advertisers if I recieve multiple ads from them at a time ie: 3...then they get their ad relayed to them 150 times.
Gonna be interesting to see what if any reaction I will get. If after a time none, then I guess I will have to change my e-mail & NEVER deal with ANY retailer by computer.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence