Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Speaking of fries.....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Speaking of fries.....

Postby Northpine » Nov 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Has anyone made sweet potato oven fries? I keep trying, but can't get them to crisp up. They are delicious, but soft. I make the regular potato oven fries, no problem.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Re: Speaking of fries.....

Postby Venice » Nov 23, 2008 8:30 pm

I've had the same trouble. I bought some already cut ready to go at Costco, and they won't crisp up for me either hmmmm.

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » Nov 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Unfortunately they won't crisp up the same way as a potato. Must be a slightly different starch/sugar content.

However, I've had some success with not cutting them too narrow, (as in french fries). Leave them quite chunky. Make sure they're dry. Toss them with a little veg. oil and seasonings, (Ron - even some cayenne pepper!), and have your oven really quite hot, around 425 degrees. Keep them in one layer, and after about 15 minutes turn them over, and they should be ready in another 15 minutes or so! Keep an eye on them though, as some ovens are hotter than others.

They won't be as crisp and crunchy as potatoes, but the edges do get quite nice and crunchy!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Northpine » Nov 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks BBQ. I'll try again,making sure they're dry before going into the oven. Otherwise I did pretty much what you said. It didn't matter that much though, as we ate them all anyway. Served them with a curry dip.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Return to Over the Garden Fence