Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

In The Meantime!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: In The Meantime!

Postby Smitty » Nov 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Kelly wrote:I believe in Ontario, municipalities can no longer pass such a by-law. I woulda ignored it anyway....

they said no clotheslines...so I use the fences to air the blankets.
but now you got me thinking............time to pay a visit to the next council meeting.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Laura » Nov 25, 2008 5:08 pm

Love to have the laundry dried outside.Still remember my mother handing it out in the winter and freezing it first and then bringing it in and drying in on a rack.
Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Hmmmm!

Montreal, January 1965...1 dozen CLOTH diapers a day to hang on an outside clothesline where they'd freeze, of course...and be brought in to thaw, still wet, so to dry, on every chair back in the kitchen.

A dryer was a wonder, believe me.

And then, to the farm, and back to nature, and a long long clothesline and the line full of sheets and other bedding to air...and all the lovely songbirds arrived and ate well, and flew over the laden clothesline and left their thank-you's on almost every single piece. What didn't get limed, was loaded with starving mosquitoes.

A dryer was wonder, believe me.

Here...trees and LOTS of birds...no clothesline...I do dry some stuff on rack on back porch, but once again...

A dryer IS a wonder, believe me!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Nov 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:A dryer IS a wonder, believe me!

I agree with that sentiment Liz! It surely is a wonder when it's pouring rain outside, and there are sheets, pillowcases, shirts, undies, socks, which have to be dried, and they do get dried in the dryer, but running a dryer is expensive, and I'm trying to do my tiny little bit to cut down on the electricity use. :)

The other thing I do, is to bring in the clothes when they're just about dry, but then pop them in the dryer for just 5 minutes - which gets any wrinkles out!

I just love to get into bed with the scent of the outdoors still strong on the sheets.

And, whilst we're talking about the good old days, I remember very well when we had our first child. We didn't even own a washer, let alone a dryer. I washed all the sheets, terry-cloth nappies, shirts, and everything else, by hand, and dried on the clothesline. Then came the ironing. Do you remember what it was like to iron cotton sheets?

Dryers, and washers, surely are a WONDER.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 25, 2008 7:37 pm

BBQ
I'm trying to do my tiny little bit to cut down on the electricity use. :)

Its folks like you who are driving the cost of electricity up. :wink:

If the demand for electricity is down they raise the cost to maintain the profit margin. We just got notification of a price increase yesterday from Hydro One. :cry: We are averaging $150/month now & we sit around a 40 watt bulb for light & heat.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Nov 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Ron Evers wrote:Its folks like you who are driving the cost of electricity up. :wink:

Groan! :cry: :cry: :cry:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby butterfly » Nov 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Ron

I find it hard to believe you use a 40 watt bulb for heat

To heat what? Your toe? lol,lol

Our power is going up by 9% in Jan

I wonder with a recession and job losses how people will pay it
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Smitty » Nov 27, 2008 12:47 am

Laura wrote:Love to have the laundry dried outside.Still remember my mother handing it out in the winter and freezing it first and then bringing it in and drying in on a rack.

that was one of my chores...but no racks..we hung them from the pipes in the semi- finished basement.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby MareE » Nov 27, 2008 6:33 am

Thanks BF for the image of Ron heating a toe with a 40 watt bulb. And glad you don't do laundry for your Raccoon family anymore. LOL

When I were a goody-two-shoes kid, loved folding the youngest bro's diapers Wintertime, once they were dried on every stick of furniture. There were lines in the fabric to guide the folder to precision.

But prior to that era, we were in a new "bedroom community" of Toronto and backyard fences were yet to be erected. Apparently some perv took advantage of dozens of circular clotheslines dangling ladie's (ladies'?) panties and ran amok. "Housewives" were horrified.

Unsigned having a giggle at this thread. Thanks BBQ for an inspiring read!;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence