[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1436: Undefined index: 26299
View topic - The trouble with being an early riser p1 - Canadian Gardening

Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

The trouble with being an early riser

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

The trouble with being an early riser

Postby earwig » Nov 26, 2008 8:35 am

My hopes of a sunny day promised on the 5:00 am weather was changed to rain at 6:17 am . I rechecked the weather at sunrise (7:26) when the sun failed to appear.

So skiing is off today but maybe the rain will wash the ice off my dirt road before tempertures drop again.

img_0726.jpg
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Re: The trouble with being an early riser

Postby MareE » Nov 26, 2008 8:52 am

Looks like a slippery slope, Betty. Not one to navigate with neither Xcountry skis nor snow shoes.

Mare;o} imploring use of pillow on backside for the morning excursion
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Laura » Nov 26, 2008 9:48 am

The weather channel has the forcast on every ten minutes and I think it changes every time.We are in the pluses and going to get rain for most of the week.

Now after all the shoveling and snowblowing it's all going to melt . . go figure .
Last edited by Guest on Nov 26, 2008 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laura

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 26, 2008 9:49 am

Are you sure it is not a gravel road Betty? :wink:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby joan w » Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

Dirt or gravel it's looking treacherous. Hope you get out today Betty.
Image Image
joan w

Postby earwig » Nov 26, 2008 11:52 am

Ron Evers wrote:Are you sure it is not a gravel road Betty? :wink:

LOL Ron, more dirt than gravel! I should take some pictures of the bedrock showing through in places to show there has been very little gravel ever been put on this road.

The grader goes over it if we are lucky - twice a year, pot holes are filled in by excess "dirt" from the blade going over the road and promply reform after the first rain fall as no gravel is ever added.

They did add some form of ashphal type mixture (looked like old pavement broken up) to the main dirt road from the highway - my road is off of that one, and it seems to be holding better.

I have driven gravel roads, they are fine but I live on a dirt road without even ditches.

Although I must say, the snow plough operator does do a fine job of removing snow the last couple of years. I don't excpect to be dug out early but when he gets here, he does do a very good job. Most times, he doesn't even fill in my driveway.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Laf Betty. I once drove a provincial highway that had stumps pocking through the surface in some spots & bare rock in others.
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Nov 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Gee, was that here in AB Ron?

Betty, has it stopped raining? Sorry to hear you couldn't get the skis out this morning.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Actually it was right here in ON in the area of Myers Cave/Plevna, possibly Hwy. 506.
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby earwig » Nov 27, 2008 6:24 am

More than a drizzle than a rain. I was talking to my sister in Red Deer yesterday and she was going on and on about the great weather Alberta has been haveing.

Continuing mild this week so maybe of all the snow goes, the ground well get a chance to freeze before the next bit of snow.

Skis are back in shed....
Betty
earwig

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence