[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1436: Undefined index: 26075
View topic - 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags p2 - Canadian Gardening

Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby bluewillow » Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Apparently the city wants Tims to replace their coffee lids.

bw

I'm still waiting for my blue bin with wheels ordered early in Summer. Half the city is without and still waiting. Our mayor and croanies are really out to lunch ...... and such a wasteful lot. If only you knew ....
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Looks like mayor Miller is following in the footsteps of Bobby Rae & pink Floyd, thinking he can spend himself rich. Worst part is, he wants to piss money away fixing up around city hall instead of something useful.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby bluewillow » Nov 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Exactly Ron and there seems to be way no way of stopping this character. Now, if Hazel would only step over the boundary .... she'd sure put this city in proper working order.

Bobby Rae! Just the mere thought sickens me. :wink:

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Eeyore » Nov 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Superstore has been doing for years and Ikea jumped on the bandwagon this year. Ikea's money goes to a fund for tree planting.
I actually think it's a good idea. I use my own bags most of the time but occasionally I have to stock up on garbage can liners.
Some stores have posted signs telling you to bring your own bags because they won't be supplying plastic ones any more.
Sobey's has changed most of their bakery packaging from those plastic trays to paper with cellophane windows.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluewillow » Nov 26, 2008 6:06 pm

No Frills, Food Basics, Price Chopper have been charging for years. They claim they can lower the prices from packing your own and providing ones shopping bags.

bw
bluewillow

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Ole grump here ! We use the Sobey's cloth bag plus reuse their plastic ones. When the latter tear, they go into the blue bag for recycling. What tee's me off is Superstore, Home Depot, & the like attempting to force you into scanning your purchases. I'm not in the business of putting cashiers' out of work. Employ the cashiers & fire the CEO'ers while also cancelling these clowns & their bright ideas along with their stock options. It seems service is relegated to last resort if all else fails.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby butterfly » Nov 26, 2008 6:43 pm

Only Walmat has 2 self scannining check outs that are empty most of the time

No one likes them

None of the other stores have them and I hope they don't get them

Home Hardware is so well known for their terrific service. They train the clerks espcially for service

Crappy Tire has the worst. I won't go there . Clerks know nothing and they are not trained and they are not too anxious to be trained or to service and have snotty attitudes. Noses seeks the ceiling tiles so far up there. Not bad for $8 an hour, soon they will be out of business.

That store is the laffing stock around here.

Home hard ware and Supertore has everything I need. But then I am not a shopper . I don't like shopping
Last edited by Guest on Nov 26, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I use the self check-outs when I have only a few items & there are line-ups at the cashiers. In contrast, I go to the cashiers in the bank whereas Jeanne will use the machine.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Today I was extremely p'd off at Safeway...I bring my own really heavy duty cloth grocery bags, I put them on top of my groceries so the clerk can see them...and she put half my stuff into plastic and when I said "pls use my cloth bags" she responded she was putting just the HEAVY stuff and meat in the plastic bags. i.e. broccolli, boxes of Swiffer stuffs,SPINACH... She put the 4 lbs of white beans in the easily collapsible foil small roast pan I bought (I don't have a small metal one, only far too big) And what also really ticks me off, are those packages of meat. I bought chicken breasts...styrofoam tray, that white pad under the meat to soak up the blood, and then tightly wrapped in plastic...and pork loin chops the same ...and these went into a separate plastic bag all by themselves!

Bring on a better method of selling meat...

Safeway is my fave. shopping store...demmit.

And, as for folks working in any of the stores being snooty, not here. Jobs are scarce...but a problem is this year's crop of high school kids...I'm hearing lots of comments about "they think they should walk into $100,000 a year jobs straight from high school...far too good opinions of themselves." (this is what we get for encouraging them that they can grow up to be anything!!!)

But, we do not have any self-scanners here, nor do we pay for plastic or brown paper bags. And yes, I use the plastic in all the wastebaskets, and for collecting bottles/jars/cans, boxes etc. for Jim to take to the garage and sort out...then I get them back again to reuse till they are so holey they go out with the plastics for the special pick up.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Smitty » Nov 27, 2008 12:25 am

what was wrong with paper bags???
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence