Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby OGrubber » Nov 27, 2008 9:42 am

Mare, Ron, Laf!!

I look forward to the day when fliers can be used as toilette paper - direct I mean. laf!!
[already KNOW this is going to bring on catalogue 'n outhouse stories. laf!]
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby earwig » Nov 27, 2008 9:48 am

There are some things that quality comes before savings.

Toilet paper is one, tea is another.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby MareE » Nov 27, 2008 10:09 am

Split a few stitches. Putting on serious face. Ron, you're so bad and Betty I agree with you. TP and tea are top household priorities. Okey-dokey-dokey Inge. I once or thrice worked in packaging design and printing. A print salesman/former boss who I should look up one of these days introduced aqueous ink to the first communications/marketing studio. It was unfortunately a no-go. I thought it was brilliant. Thus my "release". laffs

I definitely wouldn't advise fliers for lasagne gardening and posterior care. Been there for the latter and it's not cottony soft.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby kelly_m » Nov 27, 2008 10:34 am

Hey BB...there are biodegradable plastic bags available...if you can't find them at your grocery store (which would be difficult if there is no green binning) look at a local health food store...I went into mine recently and was amazed at all the stuff they had in there....including biodegradable green garbage bags. What surprised me more was that I wasn't spending any more than if I purchased name brand at the grocery store!

I do believe, at one point, there was a grocery store chain that had switched to biodegradable grocery bags, but can't remember which.

Now...the one thing I cannot get my mind around is the menstrual cup I saw there....but that's another topic for another day!!!!LOL

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby joan w » Nov 27, 2008 10:57 am

So..if you've read this far...here's a question about the banning of plastic grocery bags. Many people reuse their grocery bags for their kitchen garbage and if they don't have access to grocery bags then most will need to buy plastic garbage bags and therefore the landfills will still be full of plastic...and of course still tons of green garbage bags.

The answer seems to be recyclable plastic which is slowly becoming a reality.

I'm pleased that this problem is getting action and hope it continues.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » Nov 27, 2008 11:00 am

.... and maybe another forum eh Kel? :wink:

We found bio-degradable poopy bags at Home Hardware in Jasper of all places so I'm pretty sure your local pet store should have them Bluebird.

Those little pads in the bottom of the meat trays remind me of mini pads.... :?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Nov 27, 2008 11:35 am

Thanks so much for the great feedback info on bio-bags everyone. Will look into it for sure!

It's a whole new experience living in town compared to country life! There I just shoveled the poops to the corner of the orchard or tossed it over the fence. I'm sure my new neighbours wouldn't appreciate poops flying over their fences here-laf!

Mars, back in the earlier days of using cloth bags, one was regarded balefully by some cashiers as a crazed tree hugging hippy-laf! Times they are a'chaningin'.....

(Agree 100% with Betty...quality tp and tea always!!! And I always buy the more expensive songbird friendly fair trade coffee. Some things cannot be skimped on. )
bluebird

Postby Eeyore » Nov 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Perhaps you could chuck them from the balcony of your sister's place over the HBF! :wink:

Yes, some things should not be skimped on.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Nov 27, 2008 1:45 pm

har-har Lyn! :lol: I haven't told you the latest...the place next door with the HBF now has a for sale sign up. Cool million and a half should do the trick...then tear down the fence and flip the property? :wink:
bluebird

Postby butterfly » Nov 27, 2008 2:01 pm

Americans still call us tree huggers

The expression was used the other day on NBC news when they were talking about Global warming

I bet they think now Canadians are proper to be TH now or hope they do. We were right all along

I do use the plastic bags for kitter litter when cleaning the dish everyday then we have to put in a black bag

I don't know what else to use other than the grocery plastic bags and I am not going to buy bags unless they come up with something that will degrad and not too expenive

4 cats that is a bag every day

Idea??

Any ideas out there what do you use to put your old litter in?
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence