Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby Countryboy » Nov 28, 2008 12:09 pm

We gardeners tend *I think* to be more ecologically concious than the average person. So most of us have been aware of what we've been chucking into the household garbage and trying to eliminate any unnecessary items.

I've talked to many people tho who 'don't have the time' to practise the three R's. There will be no 'voluntary compliance' from this direction.

So . . . as much as it pains me to be on the same side as His Blondness and his left-wing council . . this bylaw is necessary.

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Lyn
saved a bundle when it started charging for bags.

Saved? Or did they make a bundle charging for them.

The way I see it, the stores are going to make a 500% mark-up on the bags so why would they want to reduce the use of them. But what can anybody expect from Toronto's mayor. What a turkey!
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Nov 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Ooops sorry Ron, trains of thought got crossed.
Once the stores started charging for plastic bags they didn't have to provide as many and they saved money there. I'll have to try and find the article I am thinking of but it was quite awhile ago that I saw it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Nov 28, 2008 12:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone had an answer to BF's question on kitty litter. Its relatively easy to use cloth or other bags but what DO you do with kitty litter to get it to the landfill? I have a daughter who is 8 mos pregnant and dont want her exposed or anyone either to cat feces because of Toxoplasmosis. Is it safe to bury it, will it break down and is there another method than old plastic shopping bags to get it disposed of??

I sometimes reuse the bag it came in, or box, but thats not always possible.

Very interesting thread btw. I wont bore y'all with the toxicity of some of the incinerated byproducts of plastic and how it ends up in the Arctic in fish, caribou and mothers milk, either. :wink:

kat
Katherine

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Not for everyone but we collect it in a small lidded plastic pail & dump it in a pit out back along with yard waste.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby kelly_m » Nov 28, 2008 1:16 pm

Seems one site (just an everyday cat forum) was high on this stuff called Feline Pine.

Wood pellets.

some claimed to be flushable, but in your case Kat(8 months already???) that wouldn't do.

So...here's my uneducated non-cat owner take.

Wood pellets disposing in bio-degradeable bags.

And you can get biodegradable green garbage bags too for the large amount cat owners.

K trying to help....probably way off base...
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby butterfly » Nov 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks Kat

I find it very difficult because the litter dish is on my bathroom. I can't carry it with 2 hands to empty it outside. I need one hand for hanging onto stairs rails and then my cane

So I need to walk down 14 steps then abaout 2 ft of snow across about 40 ft to get it where it is away from the house and garden

That' where the bags come in. I can carry it with one hand, but then since it is in a bag I have to put it in a black bag for the garabage

we are allowed 2 black bags every 2 weeks. Heck I fill one in a week maybe more and heavy, Holy smokes litter in scopable litter is heavy , then down the steps , in the car and up the driveway to the box

In summer. I drag the litter box down one step at a time then dump it but in winter I don;t clean off those back steps and shovel a path to the litter pit. just can't

I use the grocery bags but because it i easy for me and free but soon we wil not have them not even those catcher white bags we won't be able to buy

Can someone grow a 3rd arm for me, lol,lol
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Nov 28, 2008 2:25 pm

I wonder if there are bio-degradable cat pan liners? Seems to me there should be if you can find the poop bags.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » Nov 28, 2008 2:27 pm

I would like to be able to buy disposible biogradable bags that would hold at least 3-4 days of litter

Did I miss any of that size in this thread?
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Nov 28, 2008 2:42 pm

But Lyn
what good are liners?? Saves some heavy cleaning but

I still need to scoop the litter out in something to carry outside

Garbage guys won't take it if in a box or bucket. It must be in a black plastic garbage bag only . Used to be green now black

Recycle used to be clear white then they changed it to cllear blue and will not take anything else
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence