Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby B_BQ » Nov 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Carol:

I'm 99.9% certain that I've seen small biodegradable bags in the Lee Valley catalogue. I believe they're advertising them as kitchen compost bin liners - it crossed my mind that I should get some - now where did I put the catalogue? :roll:

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby bluebird » Nov 27, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks BBQ....will check that out. I'm looking for another item from them as well...but I don't know what it's called so it's making the search rather difficult! It's thingie to press your name/logo into paper; sort of like the thing they use for legal documents?
bluebird

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm

bluebird wrote:Thanks BBQ....will check that out. I'm looking for another item from them as well...but I don't know what it's called so it's making the search rather difficult! It's thingie to press your name/logo into paper; sort of like the thing they use for legal documents?

When we incorporated the lawyers invoice called it a stamp.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Nov 27, 2008 8:57 pm

Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby butterfly » Nov 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Ron Evers wrote:
MareE wrote:Almost hate to ask. Ron, didn't you avail yourself of a Valu-Pak?

Mare;o}

If meaning large packages, yes mostly. Tis a bugger when you get some thin stuff though & 11 rolls to go. Gawd I hate it when your finger pokes through.

Ron

The recycled paper made into toloet paper will not decompose in the septic tank and plug up the system

Neighbour had his system back up last winter and the pumper guy told him it was the paper. same with colored toliet paper that is why they stopped making it

Plus the stuff they make is not a bit soft on the butt
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby bluebird » Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

That's IT! Thanks BBQ...and Ron! :D
bluebird

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 28, 2008 10:53 am

Something needs to be done about plastic bags in most communities; they are an environmental disaster.

Is the five cents a purchase price or a deposit? If you bring the bag back will you get your nickel back?

Here people get a five cent credit on the grocery bill if they use environmentally-friendly bags (cloth, polyester, etc). It works well for the motivated but people who don't care still get plastic bags at the checkout stand. Also, our grocery stores have recycle bins for the plastic bags so people can bring them back.

We have cloth bags from two different grocery stores. Last week I was at the Hy-Vee, a big chain in Iowa, and had them put my groceries in three Hy-Vee cloth bags and two Schnucks bags. Amazingly, the guy who bagged my groceries made a comment that the Schnucks bags should be outlawed at Hy-Vee. TWIT!!! Fortunately, he doesn't run the company.

IMHO, plastic should be reserved for those applications for which plastic is the only or/and most effective solution.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby jazz » Nov 28, 2008 10:56 am

I mentioned that we get 5 cents back when we use the enviro bags, or cloth bags. What they sometimes do here in quebec is that they will substitute the grocery chains own bags with a competitors. I told them dont do it because the bag I had was much sturdier. jazz.
jazz

Postby kelly_m » Nov 28, 2008 11:07 am

It really should not matter to the stores, which bag is used....would they want to replace your bag if it had Joe's Library on it???? No they wouldn't so why replace a competitors...

My bags are all from IGA....only because I frequent that store the most. BUT....I have no qualms about taking my IGA bags into superstore or Wal-mart, or Shoppers. And fortunately I have never received any bad words about it.

The goal is not to sell as many bags as possible, (at 99 cents are ya really gonna make a profit???) it is to reduce the amount of bags going into our landfills.

And....as a business...think of it this way...more people buy re-usable bags, the less you have to spend on plastic bags....it would be cost-saving for the company(ies).

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Nov 28, 2008 12:06 pm

the guy who bagged my groceries made a comment that the Schnucks bags should be outlawed at Hy-Vee.

I had someone make the same type of comment at Sobey's when I was using Superstore bags. I told him that the Superstore bags were a superior quality and a better size, and when they learned how to pack those oversized Sobey's ones correctly I'd start using them again.

It's a huge cost savings for stores Kelly. I can't remember the exact figure but Ikea(?? or maybe Superstore) saved a bundle when it started charging for bags. I was amazed at the figures they quoted.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence