Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby kelly_m » Nov 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Lyn...apparently yes.

BF there are many different sizes of biodegradable bags...from small compost bin (smaller than a grocery bag) all the way up to green garbage bag size.

Check out the bag section of your grocery store. there are name-brand as well as not so well known brands.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Countryboy » Nov 28, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm sitting here having a tea break . . . and searching biodegradable bags. There's lots available . . and available o/l too . .

Grocery Bags for the carry-out .......

http://www.ecoproducts.com/Home/home_biobags/home_biogrocery_bags.htm

And yup . . there are cat pan liners available ......

http://www.ecoanimal.com/catpanliner.html

but that doesn't solve the problem of the heavy accumulation of weekly cat litter. I'm not sure what to do abt that. :?

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby butterfly » Nov 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks

I havent checked since a few months for them. Superstore didn't have them then but they may now
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby jpeg » Nov 29, 2008 9:49 am

I am amazed as I read the discussion about what to do with the used kitty litter.
We have a waste watch program on PEI that every household and business has to comply with. The cost of the program and bins are part of our property taxes.
We have a green bin for compost, picked up every second week. Things like kitchen waste & food scraps, paper, garden and yard waste, box-board(cereal box type) and our used kitty litter and dogs scooped waste go into it loose.
We put all our recycles in blue bags ( picked up once a month) . We wash all our cans, glass bottles, milk & juice cartons, plastic jugs and put them in.
Another blue bag for old newspapers, and other paper products.
All our plastic grocery bags and cardboard go into the blue bags and get recycled too.
Anything that is not recycled or composted goes into the black bin which is the left for the waste. Only clear bags can be used for our waste. You would have a hard time to find green or black plastic bags on PEI. They are not allowed in our stores.
Most of the waste picked up gets burnt in a energy from waste plant the is geared to heat the hospital and several other building in town.

So back to your question about kitty litter & dog do. It gets spread on our flower beds when we buy compost for our gardens.

Alma

"How you see life has a lot to do with how you look at life."
jpeg

Postby kelly_m » Nov 29, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Alma....sounds like you have almost nothing for the Clear Bags!!

Good for PEI....there's a lot of municipalities that need to catch up.

The problem with the green bin program, is that most municipalites do NOT allow animal waste and feces. i suppose it has to do with the composting facility it goes to.

I do however, totally am into the waste for energy....there simply is not enough of this around. Incredibly high set up costs for such facilities, but the out put is actually a greener energy source. I learned about this oooo maybe 15 or more years ago when some sheister sold my X and I some shares in one such facility. Had the feeling to put this one aside and hang onto it. The stock may not have gone up much, but at least now the idea has!!

BTW...in re: the cat litter, I hope it is one of the more environmentally friendly litters you use :wink:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Lindamct » Nov 29, 2008 10:43 am

Alma, being a former Spud Islander, and a friend of the creator of the Island's intense recycling system, (lives in California now i believe) our fine Province is way ahead of most, in our uncertain times. In time our whole Country should follow suit. The Island shows a gr8 example of what one small Province can do to help the environment as a whole. There system is quite mind boggling and as I said, and intense. I spent a month a while back looking after my Mom and learning what to put where, it took nearly all that time, for me to get on to it! Way ta go PEI! :D
Lindamct

Postby butterfly » Nov 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Other countries and other provinces learning from NS recyling programs

NS has been dubbed top province for recycling

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_80486935
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby haili » Nov 29, 2008 1:52 pm

We didn't have plastic bags when I was a kid and we got along just fine with the paper ones. If they don't want people to use plastic, why not just stop producing them; it would make more work for paper producers and loggers, etc. They've had a 5 cent charge her for ages at the biggest stores and I carry the cloth bags when I shop there.
haili

Postby jpeg » Nov 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Kelly, your right not a lot left to go into the clear bags. There would be even less if the manufactures could get their act together and stop packaging in over-sized heavy duty plastic bubble packs that require scissors and very sharp knives to open, and are not made of recyclable material.
Linda it took me a long time to get the hang of the sorting system but now it just comes natural.
Like anything else it does have it's drawback. The worst one being when the idiots who don't give a hoot drive out to the back roads and walking trails to dump their junk.

Alma

"How you see life has a lot to do with how you look at life."
jpeg

Postby kelly_m » Nov 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Oh....and that happens everywhere, Alma...it is so sad that someone won't take the time or effort to dispose of something properly.......round here we blame it on the city people! :wink:

And I agree about the packaging.

Christmas is coming up and don't you know it I will be separating everything....the plastic will come off the boxes of toys recycle what can be and unfortunately toss what isn't.

But the whole recycling deal is not difficult....I remember my SisIL bitching about it when it all had to be separated in Brampton, Ont.....You'd think the city was just doing this to annoy the tax payers instead of doing what's right for the environment! Me...I had very little difficulty when the green bin came into effect here....the household bin is now under my sink where the garbage was....the garbage is now accessible but not hidden... the plastic doesn't smell and no errant critters need get into it! kids were easy to train too.....I love it!

And I will only slowly get through my built up pile of grocery bags....family of 4 (3 of em kids) and I average 1 to 2 grocery bags only of garbage.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence