Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Christmas Decorations

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Christmas Decorations

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 1:21 am

Oh my! Ribbon candy and Barley Toys! 2 candies from my youth! I really HAVE to get to the farmers market soon as I finally found a place to get real Barley Toys!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Dec 01, 2008 9:34 am

I love Barley Candy. They have to be made by Robertson's Candy from Truro though. They also make great chicken bones, humbugs, and ribbon candy.

https://www.eastcoastcatalogue.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=35

for those of you that have not had the pleasure of barley toys as I think they may be more of a east coast thing.
Last edited by earwig on Dec 01, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 11:10 am

You are right Betty, definately an East Coast candy. I found some last year at the farmer's market here in town and talked to the maker. Of course you can guess that they are displaced easterners. They only make the candy around Christmas time.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Dec 01, 2008 11:46 am

Lyn, if you don't find any, let me know.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 11:53 am

I can order them from the site you linked. I had a blast looking around there. Thanks for providing it. I'm going to check the Farmer's Market next weekend. It's been very busy around here and I haven't gotten there yet this fall.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence