Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Tricolored heron

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Tricolored heron

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:10 am

Back from Florida... I have been kind of under the weather, well more than kind of. But here is a tricolored heron. No sheds this trip, i decided to try a few pictures of birds, you know, when in Rome....

kat
Attachments
tricolored.jpg
Katherine

Re: Tricolored heron

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:17 am

A black vulture. Note the lichen...
Attachments
blackvulture.jpg
Katherine

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:22 am

And....roseate spoonbills, in the mangroves. I only had two days out of ten when I was able to get out.
Attachments
roseate-spoonbills.jpg
Katherine

Postby Pansy » Nov 30, 2008 12:36 am

Your pictures are lovely Kat,but more important...how are you.So sorry you were not well

what an awful way to spend a vacation.I just hope all is well now,we were wondering why

we didn't hear from you.Welcome back...concerned.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:46 am

Oh thanks, Pansy. It was just a nuisance. Came down with foodpoisoning as soon as I got there, then really bad conjunctivitis and a cold in the last few days. And its such bad conjunctivitis I actually lost my eyesight for the most part for a couple of days, and its still very blurry. So I was not out much. But I still got out inbetween the two bouts of illness, and got these shots.
Thanks for your concern.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Nov 30, 2008 12:51 am

Kat, sorry to hear you got food poisioning and conjuctivitis. What a drag! Good thing that Hilary wasn't around though, not a good time for her to catch anything contagious and have to take aniti B's....

Lovely photo of a tri-coloured Heron though. I saw some of these in CR last year. I didn't see roseate spoonbills though....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Pansy » Nov 30, 2008 1:02 am

Kat glad it was nothing more serious,but I've had Food Poisoning & it's no picnic

bad tummy pains.Hope things get much better.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 1:07 am

Thanks you guys. I am improving. Food poisoning is scary because it always happens when I am away some where (well I'd kind of worry if I poisoned MYSELF... :shock: ) and I never know at first if its not going to actually kill me or not. Its an occupational hazard I guess. Worst of it is, I had to send on of my staffers on the trip up north this time.

kat
Katherine

Postby B_BQ » Nov 30, 2008 11:32 am

Sorry to hear of the illness woes Kat.
Food poisoning is no picnic - I got it once when we lived in Tanzania, East Africa. My DH did too, and there was only one bathroom in the house!!!!!! :roll
It lasted a few days and we did lose quite a bit of weight!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby bluebird » Dec 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Kat, so sorry to hear you've been ill...and here I have been picturing you out in the FLA sunshine and dancing in the sunset each night! But, that said it looks like you did very well to see and photograph the Florida wish list in the short time that you had out.

(I once visited Spain for two weeks and was sick in bed (well actually spent most of the time laying on the intricate and lovely tiled floor of the hotel bathroom) for the first 12 days from food poisoning..so I know what you went through!)

Onto your birds!

Beauty lift off image of the Tricolored Heron (which I still want to call the Louisiana) A must see Florida bird!

Black Vultures are another on the list of must sees...beautiful image! We occasionally are seeing them here in Southern Ontario in summer, but that is still a rare and reportable sighting.

And no Florida birding trip would be complete without the delightful Roseate Spoonbills! Love the pink reflections in the water.
bluebird

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence