Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Crested Caracara

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Crested Caracara

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:27 am

This is very stately bird with a huge colorful beak, and what looks like a badly fitting toupe. Quite shy and difficult to photograph but we were lucky. Bruces shots were much better. He sez.... Its not every wife who will lie down with you in a ditch in Florida next to a big stinky pile of roadkill.
Attachments
crested-caracara.jpg
Katherine

Re: Crested Caracara

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:29 am

Sandhill Cranes, very early in the morning at Cypress Marsh near St Cloud, Florida.
Attachments
cranes.jpg
Katherine

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 12:31 am

This osprey conveniently flew to a pole above my head with his catch, which was actually bigger than him, I think. This is not a usual subject for me, I have never photographed birds before.
Attachments
osprey-and-fish.jpg
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Nov 30, 2008 12:56 am

Its not every wife who will lie down with you in a ditch in Florida next to a big stinky pile of roadkill.

LMAO! I hope he relaizes what a keeper you are! :lol:

You really did get some great shots Kat and what's more, despite the pink eye and food poisoning it sound like you had a great time.
How did the paper go?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Nov 30, 2008 1:01 am

I dont really know Lyn, but thanks for asking. I was on autopilot, not my best form I am afraid.
Katherine

Postby B_BQ » Nov 30, 2008 11:33 am

Well, for someone who doesn't normally photograph birds, you have done a fine job.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » Nov 30, 2008 7:47 pm

I too think you did a fabulous job...I esp. like the cranes...but the osprey with dinner domes in a close second!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby bluebird » Dec 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Well that is a bird that always makes me think of Texas! How lucky to find one posing so perfectly..it just doesn't get better than that!! Whoo-hooo!!!

You must be a bonafide bird photographer now if you'll lay down by stinky roadkill to get the shot-lol!

Delightful habitat image of the Sandhill Cranes and very nice photo of the Osprey with a typical meal. Did you see them flying with it? It's so clever how they turn the fish so there is no wind drag on their prey when flying back to their snag.
bluebird

Postby butterfly » Dec 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Wow Kat

that first bird is pretty. We don't have them here

The ofsprey are here by the dozens and nest on the pile ons in the ocean along Pictou causeway

They are very much a protected bird here

Governement took out th pile on 2 summers ago. When they came back in the Spring. they discovered they had no where to nest and took upon people's homes or anything they could nest on

Houses, trees, everything and anything were so full of these big birds, their exterment was all over walls, cars and house sidings and you name it. A huge big mess and problem for the whole town of Pictou.

They had to put new pile ons back in the Atlantic to make them all happy and residents too.

I am sure I have never seen a green heron before, a pretty stately bird. Don't think I have ever even seen a blue one

A gorgeous bird for sure

Terrific pictures for certain as always
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Katherine » Dec 02, 2008 11:22 am

thanks AGAIN. BF in your previous note you asked about Cormorants. I think you are thinking of Ospreys, they will nest on poles and pilons.

I am not a bird photographer, not by any stretch. I am just a biologist. But I did enjoy the in flight shooting and will want to try that again.

The Caracara was very special to me.... because he looks just like my grade school principal, Mr. Madriga. Same big nose, regal posture and jet black toupe!

very shy bird though.

and agan....thanks BF nad BB
Katherine

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence