Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Busy weekend

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Busy weekend

Postby Katherine » Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Well DONE Lyn.

I can add my two cents. My daughter is home with us and pregnant with my first grandchild due in January, and we are trying to get her husband to be into Canada, long story, but having to move people around in the house to make room, for three extra people one an infant, and dealing with some disgruntled sibling & DH issues, so I am in a similar boat.

I just think that if you cant count on your family to help you, who can you count on? The nice thing is its made my son-in-law more appreciative of his father and mother, built a new friendship between him and me, and helped build new and fix old ties around here. But it is a lot of work, and sometimes very stressful, but its also a great joy to have thier companionship and time together at meal times especially is quite wonderful. I would not trade it for all the clean kitchens, quiet mornings, empty bathrooms, or silent nights in the world.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Dec 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks Kat. I think you've got it a bit rougher on your end. :wink: It appears there are several of us on the board who have had or do have "boomerang" kids. Yes, if you can't count on your family for a hand up it's a sad day indeed.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 04, 2008 8:21 am

I agree that a good Mom does what you're doing, Kat.

My son boomeranged home after 6 years on his own (university then a job in TO). He needed a change, and he spent almost 2 years with us. During that time he took a woodworking course at a local college, and did some work for neighbours It cemented his relationship with my DH, his stepfather, which was already pretty good) and I LOVED having his company, esp. at dinner table. Lots of great conversations.

My DS built some new skill sets, learned a lot of DIY stuff which today serves him well in his new life with a gf in Calgary. I miss him, and would welcome any of my kids or grandkids to move back today!

Enjoy! - it doesn't last. Nothing does.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Yes, 3 of my 4 children boomeranged at one time or another.I guess the only reason my son didn't was because he took a long time before leaving home in the first place. But I would let any one of them return again if they needed.I was the primary daycare for all my grandchildren when they were little and still have 2 getting off the school bus every day. Wouldn't ever turn one away if they needed help and they know it.My family is very close and people can't believe how kind and caring they are to everyone. Believe me I have experienced the addage" what goes around, comes around" because they're all there when I need it too. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm

That is true Edie, what goes around, comes around. If you teach & live kindness and caring, hopefully it will become a way of life and your children will be there when YOU need THEM.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence