Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

WOW!!! Wireless

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

WOW!!! Wireless

Postby earwig » Dec 02, 2008 3:39 pm

I open a site and say WOW! after each one. Not as fast as cable but about 60 times faster than dial-up.

No contract, no rental, installation was $100.00 plus 50.00 per month for service. The company is called North Nova Cable Ltd. and I got good vibes from the guy who installed it, They are a small local company of 7 employees but have been in business for 25 years.

First he thought no as he just couldn't believe the size of the hill between me and the tower. But once on the roof, things looked good and he decided I was pretty high up myself.

No modem, just a power box that hooks to my computer, plus the cable from the antenna. No sure how much of the province he covers but they have several towers. I asked why he didn't advertise more and he said they were kept busy enough now. He said no contract needed as they are too much of a bother and if they treat their customers right, there is no need for a contract.

You gotta love small local business that believe service counts.

Now I will have to try changing my email account on the forum, now that is a scary thought... but I have got to go back to work now..
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Re: WOW!!! Wireless

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Sounds like a good deal in every way Betty.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Way to go Betty! I hope they are as good as they appear to be and that you get your address changed on here without too much hassle. :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Blossom » Dec 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Alright Betty! Glad to hear you are hooked up. You are going to love it.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby Venice » Dec 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Once you get HI-speed there is nooooo going back!!!!

Glad your enjoying it and getting a good rate.

Ven
Venice

Postby earwig » Dec 03, 2008 6:22 am

It was very easy to change my email address on here. Worked like a charm and it is about half the characters to type in now too.

Just trying to get use to having my internet on at all times. I think one of the reasons I never got spam or virus attempts was because of my slow dial up.

The fellow insisted that they have the bext firewall going so It wouldn't be a problem, we will see. I am well protected on my computer so hopefully no problems will start.

Now if I didn't have a million things to do today, I could really have fun seeing things.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Eeyore » Dec 03, 2008 11:16 am

Ha! Ha! Betty, the internet is a great time waster! You could be in serious trouble now. :?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Dec 04, 2008 11:13 am

How wonderful and exciting for you Betty!

Just a question. Did you already have a dish or some kind of receptor on you antenna or was this all inclusive?

The more I know, the better prepared I am to weigh my options. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby earwig » Dec 04, 2008 4:10 pm

Did you already have a dish or some kind of receptor on you antenna or was this all inclusive?

I had absolutely nothing. It would have only been $50.00 installation if I had not needed the higher antenna.

See if there is a local company in your area but see what other people think of them first.

There is another company that is local but services another area near me and no one likes the service they provide.
Betty
earwig

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh excellent, Betty...I am so happy for you! I think my cable has slowed down to dial up speed, practically...and would switch to wireless if we can get it (lots of mountains here.)

Yesterday I noticed that the Cdn newspapers I went online to read Letters therein, had gone to a new format and NO letters...guess I will have to look for obscure little newspapers in the back of beyond.

Happy travelling to you!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence