Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Too Much Black . . .

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Too Much Black . . .

Postby Laura » Dec 02, 2008 1:48 pm

Well I had an occasion to go to the mall today. . . I was expecting great things because our "biggest and best" mall had just had a major renovation.

What a let down,yes it was newly done over but every window in every store had black decor.All the clothing stores displayed black clothes.There are no christmas decorations in the halls and even the place where the kids see that old fella was dark and no music playing.

I guess I missed the memo that said black is a christmas color,I hope this does not catch on . . . YUCK.. . now I know I don't like shopping but even when I do go I want to see some sparkle and glitz,after all we are supposed to be (according to our city advertising) a shopping mecca here.

How about some good old red and green and a christmas tree for pete's sake.
Laura

Re: Too Much Black . . .

Postby Eeyore » Dec 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Black seems to be the "in" Christmas colour this year. Ikea had black and orange. A lot of burgundy and darker colours out there too but call me old if you want, but I want red and green, gold and silver!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » Dec 02, 2008 2:11 pm

I saw black was it this year on a Canadian show those 2 guys are on who I can't watch more than 10 min

Black trees, black oranaments, black ribbons

Who wants black during a recesion. Geees

There will never be black for me .I don't follow what is in. I follow what I am used to for years and planted in my soul and brain

if no one likes it, oh dear, so tough
On them that is.....
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 02, 2008 5:59 pm

So who started this thing about black being a Christmas colour ??? Whoever started it I think about 7 years in the slammer would be a appropriate response. Probably some jerk who wants to use his/her halloween decorations....put em up in October & leave em till New Years.
Yo Butterfly....I will believe a recession has hit Alberta when I start driving past Tim Horton outlets during business hours & their parking lots & drive throughs have NO cars in them. LOL

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Countryboy » Dec 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah . . . me too . . with the ladies and the guys. :)

A big thumbs down to both black for Xmas and to Timmys.

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby bridgit On 5b » Dec 02, 2008 9:18 pm

I actually like the black decorations. I wouldn't want a whole tree in just black but I have seen some stunning black bulbs that accented perhaps with silver or gold garlands would be gorgeous. Think of it like a black tuxedo or that little black dress that looks great on formal occaisions. How much more formal can you get than Christmas!!! In my defense I have boxes of xmas decorations in various colour schemes because I change my mind each year.
bridgit On 5b

Postby earwig » Dec 03, 2008 6:31 am

I like looking at all the latest, I even like all the latest but I always stick to most of the same old decorations I have for years.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Laura » Dec 03, 2008 6:59 am

bridgit On 5b wrote: Think of it like a black tuxedo or that little black dress that looks great on formal occaisions. How much more formal can you get than Christmas!!!

You do not have to wear black to dress formal. . . and black is too harsh for most people. . . I'm sorry but it's dreary and christmas is supposed to be merry and bright.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Dec 03, 2008 11:30 am

Bridgit, I don't mind a little bit of the black or darker colours but for the most part I prefer the brighter colours for Christmas. I guess for a formal lobby or a shop entrance I can see the more modern trees but in my home I want the bright stuff.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Pansy » Dec 03, 2008 11:24 pm

While in the States I was stunned when I saw imitation trees of Hot Pink...Aqua...and Purple.Yuck
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence