Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

So the fool - -

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: So the fool - -

Postby Countryboy » Dec 04, 2008 10:45 am

And to pick a label of 'former separatist' . . of all the things u cound say abt her . . . for our GG does exactly what? Isn't that somewhat counter-productive.

Fer gawds sake lets be bigger abt all this. Say good things and good things may happen. Call people names and u risk the same being done to u.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby OGrubber » Dec 04, 2008 10:53 am

Laura wrote:Why bother to go vote if it can be overturned and people can just be PM by walking in the back door ?

I couldn't agree more.

And now that the gov't is in crisis, they are all preparing to jog off on their eight week hiatus. Now that's what I call responsible governing.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Dec 04, 2008 11:00 am

BUT......her allegiances once lay towards separatism...that is fact. Now she is the representative of the Queen....the anti-thesis of what she once believed in.

Yes people's opinions change, but, would we trust a used car that had been in an accident???

But then there is the flip side (devil's advocate???). Do we not believe that one can change? Reformed criminals, alcoholics who have dried up, junkies gone clean.......

Unfortunately this is a wait and see.

Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby butterfly » Dec 04, 2008 11:16 am

Very interesting. The comments here. For every person who hates Haprer, 50 more don't trust the Liberals or NDP or Bloc God forbid if th Bloc came to power. I for one will leave this country if that came about. I would hatr to see thi counntry broken apart and that will happen

A civil war in Canada?? I would not be surprised

I agree with Kelly.

The country did vote for Harper.

As for Jean, let her do her job

Yep that is correct the liberals hate their own party because of this so what's that say about the Liberals , Not much and many said so and said they would never vote liberal again. They did say they would leave their party and vote for Harper. I would not be surprised to see this happen if there were another election.

another election will be expensive but far better than what is going on now as this country is going no where but down the drain fast.

I would like to see no more stones thrown until we see what Jean says and does. It is in her hands now
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby jazz » Dec 04, 2008 11:32 am

I hope no one believes that Jean will decide this. She has many people deciding for her. She hasnt got the experience deciding by herself. I am not calling names here just stating a fact. She will make a decision but she will have been briefed a hell of a lot before. jazz
jazz

Postby Countryboy » Dec 04, 2008 11:44 am

Aw yr right Kelly. And 'pologies to u too Ron. No offense meant. Y'all have a point. She has been linked to separatism. That's a fact. But the other fact is that it's the most extreme label that u could hang on her.

Maybe in explanation I should say that I just finished reading a number of comments to the latest CBC news story on this fiasco. :roll: lol The language in there . . even from ordinary Canadians . . . is positively vitriolic. I couldn't go on reading them anymore.

And my point would be???? :roll: lol

Wouldn't it be great iff'n we could keep our good Canadian 'sense of balance' thru all this. There's been mistakes on both *political parties' sides. This can all be dealt with or inflammed. I guess it's our choice.

And yeah Jazz . . . she's got access to the best advice possible. It's her job . . . she'll do it.

Frank . . ON5a

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Countryboy » Dec 04, 2008 12:00 pm

But another point!!!

They opened the double doors to the GG's mansion what . . . a half an hour ago?!! And other than some guy standing there . . in the open doors . . there's still nothing happening.

Those are my dollars heating that monstrous foyer. Will somebody close the flippin' door!! Grrrr! lol

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Eeyore » Dec 04, 2008 12:28 pm

I hate to be the one to point this out but Steven Harper was leader of the Alberta Reform Party, he was all for separating and for building a firewall against the rest of Canada and Giles Duceppe's party is based almost entirely on separatism so I'd say the pots are calling the kettles black in this debate.
Personally if this coalition does go ahead it should be Layton at the helm and not Dion because he's stepping down as the leader of the Liberals in 3 or 4 months anyway and the Canadian people did not vote for him.
The last election was a big waste of money and time as there wasn't a worthy candidate for leader in any of the parties and my hope is that Jean boots all them out, shuts parliament and then we can vote for a whole new set of leaders. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking on my part, but none of them deserves to be in office and I think that was made pretty clear in the last exciting election we just had!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluewillow » Dec 04, 2008 2:06 pm

skwij wrote:What I want to know is how the HELL did the NDP get my primary email address?????????

I can't vote, have never looked at a political website, let alone CLICKED anything, but I'm getting daily emails from the NDP party.

UGH, it's enough to turn me off, if I "could" vote.

I am wondering the same, Skwij. I having nothing to do with the NDP or ever will!

TB, you surely cannot be serious re. Trudeau Jr. OMG.

I am totally pissed off as weel.

bw

Running on a temp computer which is one pain.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Katherine » Dec 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Historically coalition governments have been effective in times of crisis, ie. WWI. It strikes me that this present Conservative Government has been pushing a lot of buttons. They were not exactly communicative or repsonsive, refused to talk to the press, etc, which is pretty much our window into what they are up to. I think currently, the Conservative move to cut off funding to the Opposition was cynically forcing non-confidence at a time when Harper is hoping that a public backlash against YET another election could play into getting them the majority they desperately want. The messages in this thread tend to support this hypothesis.

I think we are all being manipulated, actually. And THAT sucks.

Do I think a lib-ndp-bloc coalition would be a bad thing? It could be quite effective, and I think the better minds in government really DO need to address economic issues. SO FAR the Conservatives have been telling us we are just fine. In fact we are headed for problems.

My thinking is that Stephane Dion is much more intelligent sounding in French. Does that help soothe peoples fears? Nope. THere is a climate of fear around French Canadian Liberals in English Canada, perhaps?

JUst my take, for what its worth.

Kat
Katherine

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence