Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

For those on Dial-up

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

For those on Dial-up

Postby maryjanej » Dec 04, 2008 3:35 am

Hi,
I just want to let you know that anyone who is with Bell Sympatico and have Dial-up. That you can get dial-up for $14.95 a month plus GST if you take a twelve month contract with them tha'ts a $10.00 a month +GST saving.

You just have to call the Sympatico line and ask them.

I hope this will help some of you's save some money. :wink:
Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Re: For those on Dial-up

Postby earwig » Dec 04, 2008 6:56 am

What surprised me when I called to cancel my Sympatico was that I had to give 30 days notice so I will be billed for another month.

I did not have a contract with them and it was so long ago that I got it, I didn't bother checking for anything to see how small the print that little gem was in.

I could see a week but a month! It is not like they have to come to the house and disconnect anything, or do they have any equipment here. All they have to do is click a couple of keys on a computer to disconnect it.

I was all prepared to pay to keep my email account for a month or two so I could get my addy changed with everybody, but now I have decided I want nothing further to do with them.

A contract would be scary, they probably want rights to one's first born too.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby OGrubber » Dec 04, 2008 9:37 am

On the surface it sounds good, maryjanej.
Personally, I would never sign another contract with Bell. Getting out of it costs a fortune, plus, they roll you into a new contract without notification if you don't keep track of your original contract's maturity date, as was the case when we had their wireless phone service.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby bluebird » Dec 04, 2008 9:54 am

I hear you Inge!! It just cost us over a grand to dump %$#! Bell phone services out of our lives for good. I'll never never never never never do business with them again. And this is from a long time (formerly) loyal customer for over 30 years. They are so rude and nasty and incompetent beyond the pale. I'm fed up with their secretive hidden contracts, surprise service fees and lousy customer service.

We are now with Wightman telecom for both our regular land line and our internet and am paying a fraction of what it cost signed up to Bell. AND the service is far superior....AND a real live polite and friendly person answers the phone when you call them. The service is excellent.
bluebird

Postby OGrubber » Dec 04, 2008 10:35 am

Carol, laf!!
I had writen a HUGE rant against Bell in my original post but deleted it all before submitting.

We are currently looking for somebody - anybody! - who can provide service out here at a reasonable cost. We are also long time customers with Bell, but frankly, I'm fed up to here! with the lack of service and the sly hidden costs.

I need service now - again! -, but I dread calling them. The last time I had to make five separate appointments [all one week wait inbetween] for one problem. I waited, and no one showed up! We had three visits from the OPP for ghost 911 calls from our phone - happened even when no one was home! - I replaced all our lines, bought a new phone, replaced my computer modem to prove the "problem" wasn't an inside one. THEN they charged us for an inside service call because some technician showed up out of the blue, because he saw the lights on and happened to be in the area. THAT howdie cost $75.00 . And nothing fixed.

Perseverence [2 months of phone calls] got us our $75 refunded, and a huge dash of luck that the OPP didn't bill us for false 911 calls.

And now, we are having the same problem as the last time. I dread calling them, I just dread it. ... Today I'm running at 21kb, but yesterday it was a whopping 4kb - pretty good considering it's a 50kb service, eh?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Over the Garden Fence