Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Missy is now an Indoor Cat :)

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Missy is now an Indoor Cat :)

Postby evepet » Dec 08, 2008 10:08 pm

I posted a couple of weeks ago, worried about whether I was over- feeding the stray cat 'Missy' I adopted in October, and wondering what to do about her wanting to go outside. Most posters thought I should keep her inside, and I started doing that after I read everybody's comments. She's adjusted very quickly, and now it doesn't even look like it's on her mind to want outside anymore. However I did discover a worm on her bum Saturday, which lead me to do some research and realize that she had a tapeworm! We visited the vet today, who agreed with my amateur diagnosis and gave Missy a dose of dewormer. The vet said that having that worm would also account for her needing to eat so much - and having extra stinky poos. I've also been concerned about leaving her alone for a couple of days during Christmas/Boxing Day, but another lady in my building (a major cat lover - she has 4 strays now living with her) has offered to drop in daily while I'm away to ensure that Missy's ok, and spend a little time with her. So that's a relief too!!
Attachments
IMG_0609.JPG
She's feeling a little shy and hiding behind her paw today....
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Re: Missy is now an Indoor Cat :)

Postby butterfly » Dec 08, 2008 10:47 pm

She is away too contented looking to want outside in the cold and I don't blame here

Gosh she is pretty. such nice white clean fur
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby skwij » Dec 09, 2008 1:05 am

Awwwww!

Good for you for sticking to the decision to keep her in!

Ugh about the tapeworm. Had that happen here a couple of years ago. Mine got the wormies from FLEAS. Fleas can pass tapeworm larvae on to cats via their bite. YUCK.
skwij

Postby Eeyore » Dec 09, 2008 1:08 am

Eve - good to see she is so contented and going to be looked after over Christmas.
Our first dog had tapeworm and one dose of whatever cleared it up PDQ. I'm sure Missy will be just fine.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby testing » Dec 09, 2008 5:57 am

What a poser. Last time I was away I made sure someone was in at least once a day for feeding and to say hello. My big boy (18 lbs) refused to eat and ignored the visitor completely.

Didn't do him any harm although he wanted to make up for the food he had missed and complained about my absence for a week afterwards.
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Postby B_BQ » Dec 09, 2008 8:51 am

I'm very happy to hear that Missy will now be an indoor cat. Just that one decision will probably mean an extended life for her. She is so pretty and beautifully marked.

It must be a big relief to know that someone in your own building will be able to pop in to feed and chat with Missy whilst you're away for a couple of days. That is always such a worry.

Clearing up the worm problem is also going to make her so much happier - you too! :D

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 09, 2008 8:58 am

So good to hear that another stray feline has found a caring home!
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby joan w » Dec 09, 2008 9:28 am

Missy is the picture of contentment evepet.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Sheikea » Dec 09, 2008 9:59 am

What a spoiled baby.LOL you can sure tell she is happy.They say any animal that bares its tummy while relaxing is very comfortable with its surroundings.That does of medicine will fix her up pretty fast and her tummy will beback to normal eating habits and poops asap.That has always been the one thing I loved about cats,unlike dogs you can leave them for quiet a spell and they do quiet well looking after themselves.I always make sure my pussycats have plenty of fresh water(toilet bowl left open as well)tons of food and two clean litterboxes to mess in.By the time I get back lots of water left and half the food gone and litter a mess..LOL.I think they like the extra litter box and it does not stink so bad. :)
Sheikea

Postby evepet » Dec 09, 2008 10:39 am

Butterfly, Skwij, Eeyore, Testing, BBQ, Trailblaze, JoanW, and Sheikea - Thanks for your comments. :) Yes, I think she's pretty settled in now and definitely has claimed this as 'home'. She's always sleeping all sprawled out, tummy up, legs and arms akimbo. :lol: Amazing how such a little creature takes up so much space on a couch or bed. I bought her a shelf thingie that fastens to the window ledge about the same time I decided to keep her inside, and she just loves that spot. It's very cozy with a nice soft sheepskin cover on it. It's also quite high up, as the window is high. She jumps onto the bed, then on up to the 'seat'. She sleeps most of the night up there (it's in my BR, right by my bed), and often sits up there through the day to check what's going on outside as well. But the rest of the time she follows me around and gets comfy wherever I happen to be. Lots of cozy spots for her in my home now. She's also been really good about using the scratching post I got her, which has been a relief. Very little scratching damage which I very much appreciate. Since I was already at the vet's yesterday, I did have her nails trimmed too, just as an extra precaution. I haven't worked up the courage to do it myself yet, although I did buy the little cat nail clippers.

Having a neighbor right upstairs in the same building who is a lovely person and a major cat lover has really been a blessing. I know she'll be true to her word to check on Missy while I'm away.

When I took Missy to the vet's yesterday I accidentally locked us out of our home. :oops: When we got back the Super let us in via the security buzz system, but we had to sit in the hall for quite a while waiting for the Manager to drop by with his keys. :oops: I let Missy out of her carrier after a while as she was getting really restless, and I knew she could explore the corridor with no harm. The Super stayed for a while talking to us while we waited. While she definitely was curious and snooped around, Missy would keep returning to where I was. The Super (who's balcony she also visited during the summer) said that it was obvious she'd grown very attached to me.

I'm really glad that I discovered the worm situation when I did. I feel rather chagrined that I hadn't noticed that earlier. I'm sure we'll both be much happier once that (with it's related symptoms) is all cleared up. I'd been thinking that I'd totally forgotten how stinky cat poo was, but I'm sure it's been made much worse by the worm problem.

Anyway - she's a good 'little buddy' and I enjoy having her around. Thanks again for your comments. It's nice being able to come here and share.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence