Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Ooops! Call Out the Army!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Ooops! Call Out the Army!

Postby Smitty » Dec 09, 2008 4:29 pm

sorry guys but I always get the giggles when you get dumped on in my old stompin' grounds :D
Mare..I have 3 younguns that showed up last winter to shovel for me and being the good (or lazy)person I am :) I appreciated a kid who actually WANTS to work these days and put them to work. they shovelled my driveway even the big edge left by the grader and my walkways. worked their butts off they did and finished the job very nicely. paid 'em very well and they've been coming back ever since to rake leaves,shovel and whatever else I have for them to do in the yard.Even came home 1 day to find they'd shovelled when I was at the paying job. Maybe crass or 'old baggish' of me but for that one they learned a lesson....you gotta ask first
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby butterfly » Dec 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Oh Mare

I remember so well the media really giving poor Mel a hard time

He sure got ribbed over that one

I can still see the panic look on his face with this storm Eyes so big with panic, lol,lol

If I can remember right, he is a short man, jewish maybe

But gosh that whole thing was funny
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby kelly_m » Dec 09, 2008 5:02 pm

MareE wrote:Have extended the deadline, Countryboy. In an hour other peoples' kids will be out of school and two of them will be begging to shovel the drive for a sawbuck.

Well, that USED to happen!

MareE renting K's Kkids from 3 to 4;o}

Na-uh!!! I NEED them here....and I don't have to pay them!!! :wink:

Kwho only shovelled half her drive all day and needs to redo that half.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby MareE » Dec 10, 2008 8:17 am

Can you FedEx those workers to me, Smitty? Like right now? Since Kelly won't let me have hers for a mere hour. laffs Wasn't diligent. Driveway is daunting. Funny how turning soil/tilth/dirt/clay is a pleasure, but hefting snow is NOT.

BF, that certainly was a faux pas on Mel's part. gads

No, Countryboy with 'P' out of Peterborough planted in backyard. (huh? 'splain please.) Rain never arrived. pout

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Countryboy » Dec 10, 2008 9:09 am

Ah . . that's me Mare. :) It's where I'm at. :wink: In a resort town on Lake Simcoe . . . right underneath the P. lol

But geez . . . I hope everybody South of me is stayin' home . . or taking public transit if they haft'a go out. We didn't get much snow last nite but it looks like y'all did. What a mess on the roads eh! :shock:

Drive safely everybody. :)

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Smitty » Dec 13, 2008 2:33 am

MareE wrote:Can you FedEx those workers to me, Smitty? Like right now? Since Kelly won't let me have hers for a mere hour. laffs Wasn't diligent. Driveway is daunting. Funny how turning soil/tilth/dirt/clay is a pleasure, but hefting snow is NOT.

MareE;o}

ah shucks Mare. had my nose held high in the wind from the ole cropduster(plane not friend :) ) and missed this thread. hoping you have procrastinated this chore. I'll gladly ship them overnight express if'n you're sure you'll ship 'em back when I need 'em.
smitty thinking schooling for kids may be overrated anyways :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence