Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

The new house next door.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

The new house next door.

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 10, 2008 9:36 pm

Last year they were able to construct the footings & then about a month or more ago they were going to pour the foundation walls that Friday & I commented here I doubt they will be ready. I was told today they will pour the foundation walls tomorrow. The story continues.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: The new house next door.

Postby kelly_m » Dec 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Of course....they were waiting for optimum conditions....sub-zero temps and snow!!

Kinda like the bridge they are re-building on one main road around here.... :? :?: :roll:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Dec 10, 2008 11:09 pm

Oh Ron, I feel for you! It's one thing to have them so close to your house but another to have on-going construction forever!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm

I feel for you Ron. Myrt & I have found that we have NEVER been able to get away from construction no matter where we have lived. If you can believe it, it got so noisy when we were on an acreage that when we moved back into the city we had to adjust to the quiet. Fortunately, we do have quiet neighbors but we sleep with the windows closed because the sound of traffic carries so far & it never stops.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby butterfly » Dec 11, 2008 12:47 am

Is he building it as he has money??

THat would drive me nuts waiting this long for my house plus putting up with that noise next to me

Yep i understand you Ron

I can hear a pin drop here espcially at nite. I hear the odd car going by and the jets above

I keep the tv on all day or the silence would drive me nuts

The tv is noise just to let me know there is still life around me somewhere other than me and the cats, lol,lol

Or should I say the cats and I. lol,lol
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Dec 11, 2008 10:50 am

I grew up at the end of a runway so most night noises don't bother me. I actually find the sound of traffic soothing. Not downtown traffic but the traffic on the main street a block away is just a drone to me.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Dec 11, 2008 10:57 am

I live a block from the railway tracks..where every train going east or west passes thru. rattles the house when they pass by. I can sleep thru anything...........except DH snoring :D
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 11, 2008 11:46 am

Well it is happening.
Attachments
H1.JPG
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Countryboy » Dec 11, 2008 1:26 pm

An interesting construction method. Pouring basement walls in insulated framework is done but uncommon. It looks here tho as if they're planning on pouring the next storey in the same way too. That's even more rare.

**Unless they're gonna bend over the lengths of rebar sticking vertically out of the walls they're pouring . . . and return that big stack of *excess?* styrofoam(?) forming material in the foreground.

Should be an interesting project to 'supervise' Ron. :wink:

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby MareE » Dec 11, 2008 1:57 pm

My first thoughts were of the rebar too, Ron. Mebbe not proper cement for Winter pouring. I'll watch the progress with avid interest. Based on too many episodes of Holmes on Homes. laffs Where I first saw that crane device.

Mare;o} and what're you doing with tomato cages next to neighbour's property line?
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence