Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

The new house next door.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: The new house next door.

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm

These are the basement walls & there are another two stories to go in concrete as well. Even the suspended floors will be concrete, the form steel pans for the first floor is what they are walking on.

Here you see the transit mixer feeding the concrete pump

H2.JPG

The concrete is placed in the forms with this flexible trunk off the pump.

H3.JPG
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby kelly_m » Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm

We see more and more homes being built that way around here...getting to be common...the insulating value is much higher than a traditional wood frame home. retains the heat better in winter and keeps things cooler in summer. Think Adobe homes in southern states...although they don't have to worry about the winter temps we do!!

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Laura » Dec 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Very interesting.I wonder what the cost is compared to a timber frame house.Around here they staple together houses pretty quick. . . then whoever buys them has to go about repairing the new house to be livable.My sisters house had to have a lot of repair,I was surprised how many things were done wrong.
Laura

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Laura wrote:Very interesting.I wonder what the cost is compared to a timber frame house.Around here they staple together houses pretty quick. . . then whoever buys them has to go about repairing the new house to be livable.My sisters house had to have a lot of repair,I was surprised how many things were done wrong.

Where were the building inspectors? The municipality is likely actionable for failure to properly inspect the work.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Laura » Dec 11, 2008 3:45 pm

It passed inspection by the city . . . and the builder said he fulfilled his contract so he wasn't coming back to re-do anything.

There is a couple built a new house in the city,all inspections and permits and everything,now the city says the house is below grade and must be fixed and brought up to grade which will mean practically re-building the whole thing . . . and the couple are on the hook for this even though the city approved the lot.

Go figure.

This is why B and I decided NOT to build new.
Laura

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 11, 2008 4:45 pm

That reminds me of the new house we bought in 1991(still living in it)
& the City specified the final grades of the lot. The City inspects the builders' grades, then inspects the owner's final grade. The problem with ours came to light when I brought the lot to grade & the builder's concrete piles supporting the garage grade beam stuck up out of the ground a good 4". I took pictures & off I went to the City Engineering Dept. & asked to see the builder's lot grades.
Ooops....4" too high yet approved by the City. Handed them photos taken showing the concrete piles & asked them what they intend to do about it ? Final solution after considerable amount of polite discussion ? They approved my grades under a "grandfathering" of the lot & we happily went on about our business LOL.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence