Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Fresh from the oven

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Fresh from the oven

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 11:19 am

I dunno Carol. I just know that I have read that its the gluten in the bread that gets stretchy and the yeast gets in and expands the stretchy gluten fibres. Maybe your gluten free flour has something that replaces the stretchy gluten. I do know however that when I make something with whole wheat or rye I usually have to had some all purpose. How much of the gluten has been removed from your celiac friendly bread flour?

Kat
Katherine

Postby joan w » Dec 15, 2008 11:34 am

Looks delicious Ron and I would probably toast it anyway.
Image Image
joan w

Postby bluebird » Dec 15, 2008 12:02 pm

I do add gluten free guar gum or xanthan gum to the mix and it is my understanding that it helps with binding and texture. That is likely the ticket to success. :wink:

But the bread is made from a mixture of flours that are naturally gluten free, such as brown rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch etc and is 100% gluten free as I can't eat even a speck of gluten as it makes me very ill.

Gluten to me is like poison and I avoid it completely as does other members of my family who are also celiac. On the upside, I learned to read labels at an early age and became very conscientious about what goes into the food we eat, so I've been eating very healthy foods all my life.
bluebird

Postby OGrubber » Dec 15, 2008 12:06 pm

For as many types of grain flours there is a bread type.
Not all breads are based on the protein to gluten conversion and yeast risen. Not all breads are based on a yeast rise. Some use baking powder or baking soda.... and some are not risen at all.

In the case of Ron's bread, any number of things could have contributed to the lack of rising. It could just as easily have been a touch too much flour in the mix, or a minute too short on the knead, as a lack of protein in the flour or weak yeast.... or, it could simply have been the fruit weight overwhelmed the yeast strength or the rising temp was a tad cool. What I'm saying is; It would be pretty tricky to pinpoint the exact cause.

If it tastes good, I'd consider it a success. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Laura » Dec 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Your toast looks very good Ron,I always prefer my bread toasted,like the crunch I guess.
Laura

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Laura, I agree, it looks great and I wouldnt care if it didnt rise, myself.

And... well said Inge, but gluten IS the protien in the bread structure.

Carol, thats really cool that a gum structure takes the place of the gluten protien. Thanks for explaining that, that is very cool. I guess they both act like the woman in the movie Incredibles.

I love baking bread, and I also have a few relatives that are gluten intolerant (including my sister in law who is married to a wheat farmer!), so I am always up for new ways to make a gluten free dinner.
Katherine

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 15, 2008 3:36 pm

That looks perfect, Ron.....and I sure wish we had smell on our 'puters.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Eeyore » Dec 15, 2008 4:27 pm

.... like the bran and germ which get between the gluten molecules.

Well now I know why I've had problems when I try to add whole bran to my breads. Oat bran doesn't present the same problems at all.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Dec 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Katherine wrote:And... well said Inge, but gluten IS the protien in the bread structure.

Hmm. And here I always thought that gluten was the result of the chemical reaction of the proteins [in wheat] when kneaded with water.

Katherine wrote:.... and I also have a few relatives that are gluten intolerant (including my sister in law who is married to a wheat farmer!), so I am always up for new ways to make a gluten free dinner.

It can be challenging to adjust one's cooking and recipes - I agree. Try making corn tortillas. Or, is that not considered a bread?... For some reason I thought he was a small-fruit farmer - or was that a dairy farmer? - I forget.
Last edited by OGrubber on Dec 16, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Katherine » Dec 16, 2008 12:03 am

Hey Inge,

My brother, Ogre, (aka Bob) is a blueberry farmer in the Fraser Valley. My husbands sister and brother in law Cathy and Elmer are wheat and rape seed farmers, with some other crops as well, on a much larger scale, in Saskatchewan. I grew up on a dairy farm, and my grandparents and greatgp's were all cattle ranchers in BC. Before that, the ancient ancestors were in Alta and Niagra as cattle and crop farmers. I have sensibly, I think, decided to stay out of farmin'.

When I was a vegetarian in Univ. i knew nothing so I took courses in the microbiology of nutrition and was surprised to learn that bread was a source of protien, mainly due to flour gluten, which reacted with water to form long stringy protienaceous strands. I was told that prisoners CAN actually exist on bread and water, for good reason. Apparently if you add cheese, it helps.

I am still learning.

Thanks for your note.

Kat
Katherine

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence