Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Spokane by snowshoe

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Spokane by snowshoe

Postby Katherine » Dec 14, 2008 11:42 pm

Well it was down to get the son-in-law from Spokane where he is holed up waiting to visit the pregnant daughter. He is an American soon to be Canadian Landed Immigrant we hope. Ice-ridged roads all the way there and back, mountain passes, dark as hell. 8 hours. I Am Pooped. However he is now here for the duration, and will be renovating thier new abode combined bedroom and nursery. Due date is 10th of November. Has Jazz's daughter-in-law popped yet?

Kat
Katherine

Re: Spokane by snowshoe

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 9:06 am

Kat
Due date is 10th of November.

She is long overdue.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Sheikea » Dec 15, 2008 10:07 am

Yikers thats for sure .If she is that far overdue I sure feel for her.Atm she is prob feeling like a baby hippo..Poor mommy to be someone get her a tea and rub her feetsies...Fluff those pillows and oh yeah stay out of her way. :D
Sheikea

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 10:14 am

oh geeze. Guess i was REALLY tired. I meant January. All these winter months look the same to me. :oops:
Katherine

Postby Sheikea » Dec 15, 2008 10:23 am

LMAO..Oh well still do all those things I am sure she woudl appreciate the extra care..hehe
Sheikea

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks Sheikea, that was why we were making an effort to get him up here.

Its been a bit scary for my 24 year old daughter to be 8 months pregnant and her husband is trapped on the other side of the border.
Katherine

Postby Venice » Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Yikes I'd be freaking out if I was her. That's scary. We have friends in Spokane and they say the weathers been bad there. I hope everything works out ok though. It seemed to take forever for me to get my landed immigrant status. hang in there.

Ven
Venice

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi Ven, thanks for the kind words. Do you mind telling me something of your experience?

Its been a real wakeup call for me, as a 9th gen Canadian I had no idea. My son-in-law and daughter are really only starting this process. With a little one on the way its been both confusing and scary for her.

She hopes to sponsor him, but meanwhile we are not sure she makes enough money. She is a technician for me, and a good one, too. Immigrating to Canada is not just a carte blanche right for Americans. We had to prove he had sufficient ties to the US (never mind his great grandparents were slaves) with a job, apartment, bills, etc. Previous meeting my daughter and traveling with her for a year, he worked for GM in Wisconsin. Moving to Spokane in the hopes of just coming across to visit until he can get immigrate status made him persona non grata literally. Until we got the visitor pass. Now he is upstairs helping her make breakfast and get ready for work. She is very pregant, so yesterday was very tense but we got him here ok. He was turned away at the border the first time, until we got him more firmly ensconced in Spokane.

Thanks for your note, though, anyway.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Venice » Dec 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Well my situation was a bit different. I had been living in FL. and then I came up here to visit. Stayed for almost 6 months, went back to FL for 6 wks then came back up for a 'visit'. During that time we got married. And I applied for my Perminant Residency. I did it in-country, which I belive is faster and a bit easier, then waiting in the US to get the process. I honestly can't remember how long it took to get the card. But the entire process was a hassle.

I had to get fingerpriting done, and send it to the RCMP, FBI, and the police of each state I'd lived it. Then we had to wait to hear back from them all, and that all had to go into my application. I also had to have proof of a 'real realationship' which included emails over the years, and airplane tickets where we visited each other. They also wanted to know if any of our family had met the other and all that. So I included pictures of him at our place in FL with my parents and uncle and cousin, and then we had some pictures with his aunt and uncle and said they were at the wedding as were other friends and family. It was really rediculas. I mean I wanted to just state 'ok look I live in a condo on the beach in Boca Raton and I'm moving to Toronto, seriously what do you think???' hahhahaha. Not sure that would have gone over well.

I think it cost close to $2,000 when it was done between the application fees, and all the fees it cost to get the letters out and back from each of the fingerprint requests, and everything was sent certified mail. We applied as soon as we were married, and my husbands self employed and he wasn't refused to sponser me, and he doesn't look that great on paper. He did have to sign that he was responsible for me for the next 10 years even if our relationship didn't work out, I wasn't allowed to go on assistance until then, he was still responsible to support me.

So now I have PR card and I got my health card and social ins card. The only difference between being a citizen and PR is the passport and voting.

Anway all the best.

Ven
Venice

Postby Koot » Dec 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Holy Crap! you have been having a great time! After all this grand and wonderful weather, this is when you have to go to Spokane!!!
Glad things have work out so far and you all got home safe and sound.
KOOT (not the old, either) Libby zone 5
Cares melt when you kneel in your garden.
Koot

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence