Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Spokane by snowshoe

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Spokane by snowshoe

Postby Eeyore » Dec 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Kat, good to hear that SIL is now on this side of the border! I'll bet Hilary is very happy to have him here for Christmas and the birthday.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 8:18 pm

Interesting! My mother was born in the USA, lived most of her childhood in Canada, married a Canadian, maintained her US citizenship & lived to this day here in Canada.
I was born in the USA when mother went to be with her mother state side. Our place of residence was Canada, my father was serving overseas with the Canadian army (WWII) so I was born with dual citizenship. I never lived in the excited states. It was a bit of a hassle to get my first passport, Canada Pension & Old Age Security being as I had a US birth certificate. The fact that I had been living here all my life & paying taxes counted for nothing, I was treated as if I just arrived.

Jeanne grew up in Quebec but was born across the river in New Brunswick, what a hassle for her to get a first passport.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks Libby, Ven, Lyn and Ron. Yes, I have heard we have to prove a "relationship". My SIL's family are relatively poor, numerous and in New York. Some are living in the 'Projects'. They cant just hop on a plane and burn out here to be in photo ops. My daughter went around and met a lot of them in NY last year, but unfortunately no photos were taken. Aaron has not met any of my family because we live in the Interior mountains of BC and NONE of my family have been here when they were here, and are not likely to be. They live in Sask, Manitoba and Vancouver. Its just not going to happen. We have photos of the two of them taken on cell phone as they traveled last year, but thats it.

They think that by making the red tape and difficulty outrageous it will prevent people from being parasitic on Canada, but then they let people in to the country that are guily of violent crimes, from south America etc.

Anyway, I am glad you made it Ven. I understand the process is a real painful one. My poor daughter just adores her husband and he is crazy about her, its a really strong friendship. But I honesly think they will force it so that she will have to live in the US. She doesnt want to leave her family here in Castlegar, but its the only way, she thinks. Perhaps she will be accepted as a sponsor, even if she doesnt look that great on paper, as did your husband.

Ron, you are lucky you are as old as you are. My daughter was refused entry when she tried to go visit Aaron in Spokane, because she might have the baby there and then run away to be an illegal immigrant. They were convinced this would happen, and they made her go back to Castlegar. They didnt seem to understand that Canadians actually have health care and childbirth paid for. They actually treated her like she was a criminal. When she came back with proof of her enrollment at the college and a note from her doctor they let her in. Then on her planned wedding day, different people were there, and they turned her away again. Its illegal for a pregnant Canadian to marry and American on the US side, even when her father was American!

So there we are.

kat
Katherine

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Don't know how much easier it is in the US .Of course these circumstances are different,but a Canadian family member married an American citizen here in Canada. After 2-3 years they moved to Chicago with their 2 children. She applied for her green card and 2 years later still is waiting. In the meantime she's not allowed to come to Canada.Don't know what would happen if she had to come up for a parents funeral. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 9:18 pm

So they did eventually get married?

Did her hubby have any means of financial support i.e. a job that would make him look employable in Canada?

It is such a complicated issue. We need immigrants with the skills to fill the current needs of the job market but that has not been past policy of allowing highly educated folk to come & be taxi drivers.

We had a female professor of engineering from Poland working as a laboratory tech along side A collage graduate in that field. Staff cuts! Who was let go, the girl who was working at the job she trained for. Who was treated fairly do you think. As I said, it is complicated.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 9:35 pm

No actually they are not officially married. They were told, when she was denied entry on the planned wedding day that they must CANCEL the marriage licence and prove they had done so, or she would be arrested next time she tried to go to the States. Now they are both in Canada, (and she is as big as a house with child), they have a local Canadian Marriage Licence, and they can marry in Trail this week.

He is employed by me in Spokane doing literature searches, and is looking for permanent work. Until this September he was working for GM, as I said. then he met my daughter and wandered together. Its a lesson in what NOT to do.

AND...

MG, thats TERRIBLE Edie. Just because your friends has applied for a green card, she should not be denied entry back into Canada. Honestly Honestly since my daughter met her DH a year and half ago, I had NO idea all of this was so difficult. THey have both been denied entry. Aaron has had to have every state in the union checked for criminal charges. Hilary was treated like a wetback and woman of low virtue.
Katherine

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence