Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

For Brenda (BBQ)

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

For Brenda (BBQ)

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 10:38 am

Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: For Brenda (BBQ)

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 10:42 am

hi Ron I am not BBQ obvi, but can you cut and paste this? its getting blocked and i have had no end of grief with a virus lately.

I have learned to try every recipe you post, actually.

kat
Katherine

Postby jazz » Dec 15, 2008 10:51 am

Ron if I wanted to make it without breadmaker machine which I dont have what do I leave out. Looked on the net but cant seem to find one. thanks jazz
jazz

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 12:42 pm

C&P for Kat

Jazz, just make it by hand as one of the reviewers below does.

BTW, I have never made this, I just thought BBQ might like to give it a try. I have a Italian bread recipe I like very much.

Ciabatta Bread

SUBMITTED BY: Marina PHOTO BY: Meagan
"This very simple recipe can be made in the bread machine using dough cycle. I make it at least 3 times a week."
RECIPE RATING:
The reviewer gave this recipe 94 stars. This recipe average a 4.3 star rating.
Read Reviews (80)
Review/Rate This Recipe
Original recipe yield 2 loaves
SERVINGS
(Help)

Servings

US METRIC
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 3 1/4 cups bread flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select the Dough cycle, and Start.
2. Dough will be quite sticky and wet once cycle is completed, resist the temptation to add more flour. Place dough on a lightly floured board, cover with a large bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Lightly flour or use parchment lined baking sheets. Divide into 2 pieces, and form each into a 3x14 inch oval. Place loaves on prepared sheets, dimple surface, and lightly flour. Cover, and let rise in a draft free place for approximately 45 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
5. Dimple dough for a second time, and then place loaves in the oven, positioned on the middle rack. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. During baking, spritz loaves with water every 5 to 10 minutes for a crispier crust.

ADVERTISE WITH US
ADVERTISEMENT

REVIEWS
The reviewer gave this recipe 5 stars. This recipe averages a 0 star rating.

Reviewed on Apr. 9, 2006 by Rodney Dowdle
X
Full Review
Rodney Dowdle
Apr. 9, 2006
Good results! As a culinary student I've tried and failed with bread many times before getting some decent results. Here's what I've found that may help: 1) Proof your yeast as directed (mixing water, yeast, & sugar)-- if it doesn't start bubbling or frothing after 10 min, throw it out. Either the yeast is dead (check expiration date) Or you killed it with HOT tap water > 120 degrees F kills yeast. Optimal temp is LUKE warm around 100F. 2) Mist the bread with water every 3 min for the first 10 min. Why? This does 3 things. Prevents the crust from forming too fast thus restricting the rising process. It moisens the crust just enough so it doesn't brown/burn at the end of the baking period - you get a golden brown instead of a dark heavy crust. And it finally makes the crust crispier. This is a very important step. It also helps if you have a bowl of water in the oven to increase the humidity percentage. Professional ovens have adjustable humidity controls which add moisture in. Why only 10 min? You can mist for longer but you'll end up with a thin white crust instead of golden brown. Once the bread has risen to its full potential (within the 1st 10 min or so depending on the size of the loaf), then you want it to start becoming golden brown. Baking is regarded as being harder than cooking because of the exactness in ratios of the ingredients. Hope some of my hard lessons learned helps you -- Best of luck!
Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
100 users found this review helpful
Good results! As a culinary student I've tried and failed with bread many times before... MORE MORE

Reviewed on Mar. 15, 2007 by maegan b.
X
Full Review
maegan b.
Mar. 15, 2007
This recipe was awesome! I skipped the bread machine business and made it by hand...the dough was sticky but it worked well enough, just start the yeast in the warm water for a few minutes before throwing in the rest of the ingredients. Instead of loaves I made rolls and they turned out great. I also added 3 tablespoons of dried rosemary to the dough which made all the difference. They were a huge hit with my kids, my daughter told me they tasted just like the bread at our favorite Italian food place and she was right! Misting the dough during baking with a spray bottle is a MUST. Don't skip this step, it's what makes the crust so crispy.
45 users found this review helpful
This recipe was awesome! I skipped the bread machine business and made it by hand...the dough... MORE MORE

Reviewed on Dec. 17, 2007 by ALSTONS4
X
Full Review
ALSTONS4
Dec. 17, 2007
Wonderful recipe ~ so easy. Everytime I make it I get rave reviews!! Easy hint, use spatula to scrape out of breadmaker onto a heavily floured board. Then use a metal scraper to scrape/scoop/lift the floured dough into a rectangle and then plop onto a silpat/greased cookie sheet. This is a rustic bread so it will be chewy with large holes. You really can't use your hands, they'll goo up and you won't be able to handle it. Develop the lift and fold over technique with the scraper and it'll be a breeze.
35 users found this review helpful
Wonderful recipe ~ so easy. Everytime I make it I get rave reviews!! Easy hint, use... MORE MORE
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi Ron, thanks so much for c&p'ing this. I had a trojan downloader problem, now Frenchtop is very shy, and refuses to speak to strangers. Not even in French! 8)

Any bread recipes that you are so enclined to pass on will be gratefully recieved here. I got inspired by reading your bread recipes and notes about bread on this site. So Bruce dusted off the breadmaker where it languished in the pantry this fall and I have been enjoying taking the bread to the first rising then, going the traditional route from there. Its really a lovely way to make a welcome addition to the household, and also Castlegar has no really great bakery. So thanks.

If you have a French or Italian breadmaker recipe, please consider posting it, too. I have found some recipes are great and some are not, and I DO follow them exactly. Right?

Kat
Katherine

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Here is my Italian bread recipe:

scan0001.jpg
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby jazz » Dec 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Ok Ron yu got me thinking. Maybe I should buy a machine, How much, what kind etc. Your recipes look so good. I cant find good bread anymore. And I cant knead because my right arm is not good.

Another thing do yu use the yellow packet of fleishman instant yeast. thanks jazz
jazz

Postby B_BQ » Dec 15, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks Ron!
I'm definitely going to give this a try.
I don't have a bread machine! :cry:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 4:19 pm

WELL SQUIG? We know what yer Mom might like for XMAS?! Hmmmm?

kat
Katherine

Postby B_BQ » Dec 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Ha Ha Kat! :lol:
I've always resisted the temptation. It would probably end up in a cupboard, somewhere in the basement.
However, as we speak, I am making up a batch of Ciabatta bread, using the recipe, kindly made available by Ron, in my Artisan KitchenAid Mixer.
Will let you know how it turns out - certainly the ingredients are very simple, and I happened to have them all in my cupboard!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence