Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

For Brenda (BBQ)

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: For Brenda (BBQ)

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 4:35 pm

If you are considering a bread machine you could sift through the info at this site:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=ratings%2C+bread+machines&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

If you have a mixer like this it would do the job as well, only you would have to give the bread a first rising in a warm place.

15-03.JPG
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Dec 15, 2008 4:49 pm

Yup! That's what I have. Don't use it a lot, but it sure makes short work of kneading!
The dough is rising underneath that bowl!
~BBQ

Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Ha ha is right. I got one 5 years ago and was horrified, promptly put it away and now its out again.

Kat
Katherine

Postby jazz » Dec 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Ron per your recipe is that all. No kneading. All together in one pot. Wow if I read right my kind of recipe. Jazz
jazz

Postby Koot » Dec 15, 2008 6:28 pm

If you have a French or Italian breadmaker recipe,

You want to make french bread?? I am really good at it. Invite me over and I will show you how. I have to make some for Christmas anyway. It takes all day but only because you have to let it rise.
We can do the first part in you kitchen and I will bring bread in the different stages to show you what to do. My uncle showed me many years ago and it is a favorite everytime I serve it.
I am busy tuesday and next tuesday, other than that anytime is fine.
KOOT (not the old, either) Libby zone 5
Cares melt when you kneel in your garden.
Koot

Postby Katherine » Dec 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Yer ON! I have my a$$ in the aligator patch at the moment all week with the deadlines, but will be ready next week or next after. Or next after that.

Kat
Katherine

Postby davefrombc » Dec 15, 2008 7:30 pm

I resisted getting a bread machine for quite a while when they first came out. I knew others that had them and liked them , and heard of others that got one and it sat collecting dust.. I finally broke down and got a machine when they came out with the 2 pound machines on sale at a very reasonable price. I've had my machine now for over 15 years and it's still going strong. I haven't bought bread since buying the machine .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 15, 2008 7:46 pm

jazz wrote:Ron per your recipe is that all. No kneading. All together in one pot. Wow if I read right my kind of recipe. Jazz

Sorry Jazz, not that simple. You still have to follow the regular procedure of bread making, I just provided the basic information.

We only use the bread maker to produce the dough after the first rising (dough setting) & then follow conventional procedures. It is very convenient compared to using a mixer as shown by both BBQ & myself.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Venice » Dec 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Ohhh man now I want some homemade bread. I haven't made any since I got preggers this summer. I usually use a mixer, for the mixing and kneeding, they're soooo handy.

I wasn't able to think about baking for a while, then my kitchen was ripped up and didn't have an oven for several weeks. Now I've been told that I have Gestational Diabetes so I won't be making much bread while preggers.

I did come across this recipe though for Baguettes that I'm just dying to try. If anyone here does, let me know how it turns out.

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2008/05 ... s-at-home/

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » Dec 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Ven: The baguette recipes look very yummy indeed.
When I was MUCH younger I could eat a baguette in one go, and not give it a second thought! Not so any more - although I suspect Ron could!
Keep your link parked somewhere so that some of us can ask you for it some time down the road! :lol:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence