Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

breakfast for diabetics

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

breakfast for diabetics

Postby jazz » Dec 15, 2008 1:04 pm

My husband doesnt give himself insulin. He just takes his readings.

What would be a good breakfast. He is always sleepy at work in the am.

He usually eats toast with peanut butter or cheeze. Should he be eating fruit. He cant take grapefruit as he is on lipitor, Thanks. Jazz
jazz

Re: breakfast for diabetics

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Jazz,If you look in the yellow pages of your telephone book you should be able to find a Diabetes center in your area. they are free and offer proper counselling on diet and types of food and general lifestyle.It's great if you can go together but since you're probably the one that cooks and does the shopping, try to go. My husband was insulin dependent for the last 4 years of his life. I'm also diabetic but controlled by diet and exercise, hopefully can stay that way. This is just an idea of a meal.Breakfast is very important but all diabetic meals call for the same proportions of fruits and vegetables, protein at each meal and starch. A good breakfast would be a bowl of cereal,preferably oatmeal with milk. One or two choices of fruit (juice is ok but the fruit is better). Protein can be peanut butter on a piece of toast or a boiled egg or a piece of cheese. Quantities are important and so is the amount of fat consumed.Sugar is not prohibited but needs to be consumed sparingly. Try telling a diabetic that.The current take on monitoring foods is to count your carbohydrates because basically all foods convert to sugar in your body.My husband was allowed 60 to 80 grams of carbohydrates per meal and it was fairly easy to moniter.Couldn't control all the goodies he stashed for eating when I wasn't around.My biggest lesson learned was to try not to be a food policeman and nag. Once you have a general idea that you're eating fairly right you learn not to fret if you happen to cross the line on occasion. Edie
Editing to add that they suggest eating smaller meals so that you can have snacks between meals.A snack can be a fruit or 1/2 sandwich with meat or cheese.A couple of crackers with peanut butter or cheese. This might help take care of the tiredness.
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby jazz » Dec 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Thank yu very much very helpful info. Jazz
jazz

Postby Eeyore » Dec 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Jazz, I'm not diabetic but I find if I don't eat a proper breakfast in the morning I'm falling asleep at my desk. For me it's 2 slices of toasted "Squirrelly Bread" and a high protein filling. Usually, salmon, egg, sandwich meat or chicken. A glass of milk or juice. Squirrelly Bread (or gravel bread as Kat calls it) is made without flour and it's very high in fiber so I'm pretty sure it has a low GI index. Sometimes I have a high fibre cereal and 1/2 grapefruit (ssh! don't tell my doc!) but that doesn't tide me over as well.
I rarely eat sandwiches for lunch but will have yogurt with fruit or just plain fruit and veggies to snack on through the day.

Of course hubby has to find what works best for him while keeping his blood sugar in check. Edie's suggestion is a good one. I'm sure BBQ would recommend the same. There are some good cookbooks out there and you can get checklists (much like weight watchers ones) that outline how many carbs and proteins can be consumed in a day and the values in certain foods.

Here is a link to Canadian Diabetes Association.

http://www.diabetes.ca/

And if you use this page you can translate webpages to French which might be easier for you. :)

http://translate.google.com/
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Venice » Dec 15, 2008 7:22 pm

I was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I guess this could explain why I still have morning sickness at 5 + months.

I'm still waiting to meet with the Endocrinologist. But my Dr. told me for breakfast to have cheese and crackers, or something like that. The only carbs are supposed to be multigrain,(not just whole wheat.). I've also cut out all sugar, honey stuff like that. I do cheat and have about a square of dark chocolate a day. And that's helped.

So for breakfast I have multigrain crackers, cheese, celery w/ peanut butter, or cream cheese. I eat the celery and stuff for snacks as well. The crunch is satisfying and there's hardly any carbs in peanut butter. (just make sure you get the one that doesn't have sugar and other stuff, just pure peanuts is all.)

So mulitgrain bread, with peanut butter would be good too. Just no cereal, I was told. eggs would be great too, but I can't face anything that heavy in the morning yet. Ohhh a fried egg sandwich on mutligrain would be good. I like the PC Blue menu bread.

Potatoes are out pretty much. I cheated last night with a bit of mashed potatoes as the neighbors had made a Jigs dinner. And I threw up today, so I'm gonna be better. Sweet potatoes are ok though.

Here's a couple of links to the GI index. It's a great guide to see what's ok to eat and what can bother you, some of the stuff was surprising to me.

http://www.myfit.ca/glycemic_index.asp

http://www.glycemicindex.ca/low-glycemi ... foods.html

I'm hoping to stay off insulin as well. My sister had GD and I think my mom probably did as well, and they weren't on the insulin.

Ven
Venice

Postby jazz » Dec 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Venice that site is one of the best i have seen. My fit.ca has helped me. Thanks all of yu that gave me ideas. I have printed out told husband about this, now lets see what happens. Thanks Jazz
jazz

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 15, 2008 9:30 pm

I agree about the glycemic index, it's something that they stress in the classes as well. It's amazing how full you feel and how much longer the feeling last after consuming low glycemic foods.Thanks for the links. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby testing » Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am

I worked in a Diet Office at a hospital for a number of years which means I am very familar with Diabetic diets.

My suggestion is that both of you spend some time with a Dietitian and assess just how many calories he should be following for his age, height, weight, frame size, activity level, any other medical conditions he may have. All play a part in what he should be eating.

After assessing the calorie level they are able to provide meal plans that back in my day, involved the exchange system that were very easy to plan.

If I did this link right, it gives some very good basic information - in French.
http://www.diabetes.ca/files/justthebasics-fre.pdf
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Postby Venice » Dec 16, 2008 9:53 am

How does puking figure into the meal plan??? hahaha sorry I couldn't resist. This is one reason I haven't been worried about switching to too much -low fat products. In fact I upped my milk to 2%, yum, and I'm still down 8 lbs since when I got preggers. I wonder when I'll start to gain any. Keeping all of my food down will probably be a start. I'm still waiting for my appointment to meet with the Dietitian.

Ven
Venice

Postby testing » Dec 16, 2008 11:15 am

Venice wrote:How does puking figure into the meal plan??? hahaha sorry I couldn't resist. This is one reason I haven't been worried about switching to too much -low fat products. In fact I upped my milk to 2%, yum, and I'm still down 8 lbs since when I got preggers. I wonder when I'll start to gain any. Keeping all of my food down will probably be a start. I'm still waiting for my appointment to meet with the Dietitian.<BR added="null"><BR added="null">Ven

Those things are figured into the exchanges if it is by pregnancy, flu, or chemo. If the meal is "puked", substitutions are made by replacing the calories in liquid or easy to keep down solids. If someone is on insulin, it is very imporatnt to keep the carbohydrates the same as the meal that was not digested.
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence