Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

8 More days

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

8 More days

Postby Sheikea » Dec 17, 2008 10:06 am

Hurry ,hurry ,hurry!There are only eight more day left till Christmas time.I believe I have everything I wanted to pick up for the kids,and yes that means the dogs,cats,fish and the big kid(hubby).I have all my baking finished and the house decorated.Now its time to wrap,ugh wraping all those packages and bows and tape..LOL.I'll have sore fingers for three days.Thank goodness for coffee..Anyone else all finsihed up or perhaps some of you have not started??
Sheikea

Re: 8 More days

Postby kelly_m » Dec 17, 2008 10:26 am

I'm trying to ignore how many days...I just need to somehow get it done!!

I still haven't started with one son...am having a hard time with him. But the other 2 are started....Still got lots to do!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Dec 17, 2008 11:30 am

2 more gifts to pick up and some grocery shopping to do.... and only 5 more days of work!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Gosh, Sheikea, I got tired just reading about the work you've done....
I got shopping for gifts done, no decorating, (I only do outdoor lights, no tree), no baking yet. But then: our kids aren't meeting up until Dec.29th, so I have some time.

I am planning to bake stollen today....it's a German, yeast fruit bread. I even bought some rum to soak the fruit in. We are teetotalers here, so never have alcohol in the house. (can you spell party-poopers?)
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby testing » Dec 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Where did the time go? I am hoping tomorrow I will track down a couple more gifts in the town near me that I need to get. If not it will mean a trip to the city on Monday.

I don't do much baking but I do make up a few casseroles and freeze for my two adult children. One today and the last one Saturday and they will be ready for them.

Decorating is being done today..
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Postby B_BQ » Dec 17, 2008 12:30 pm

I THINK I'm on top of things. But then, as most of us know, something usually comes along to throw everything out of whack! :)

I also have done most of my baking - still the sherry trifle to put together. Not making a huge one this year, but individual ones. I think they'll be more eater-friendly!

Trailblazer: I had a next-door-neighbour in Newfoundland who was of German extraction. One year she gave us a Stollen which she had baked. It was the most delicious I have ever tasted! I tried, on a couple of different occasions, and a couple of different recipes, to make one, but without success.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Dec 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Just one more trip to the grocery to finish my baskets and I'll be done.Doing a basket for my B&Sil for indian cooking so am having a little struggle with what to put in there but everything else has been easy.

B got the tree all done,I put up a small tree in the porch and MIL sent cookies so were all set I guess.I am going to watch my diet over christmas so no chocolates this year.Turkey will be picked up last minute because it's a fresh one.
Laura

Postby B_BQ » Dec 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Laura wrote:Doing a basket for my B&Sil for indian cooking so am having a little struggle with what to put in there

What sort of Indian cooking do they like Laura? Southern, Northern? Or Thai?

I could certainly give you a list of herbs and spices you could put together for a curry. Or you could make one yourself and freeze it - then all that they would have to do was to un-freeze it, heat it through, and prepare some rice.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Dec 17, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks BBQ ,a list and a recipe would be a help.I did not realize there are many different regions for indian cooking since it is something I have never tried.My b&sil mentioned they tried a restaurant here and really enjoyed it and I know they love to cook so I thought this years basket would be a sinch . . . until I started researching.They didn't mention any preferance to southern or anything.

If you could give me a list, I can give them what they need to try some curry ,they did mention they had that at the restaurant.

Thanks so much,it will be a lot easier to shop if I have a list.
Laura

Postby B_BQ » Dec 17, 2008 2:38 pm

I'll get back to you on this later Laura. Just off to get some grocery shopping done.

I think a simple Chicken Madras, (made fairly mild), or a Chicken Tikka would probably go down fairly well. They can control the amount of 'heat' by putting in a small amount, or a lot, of cayenne!

It's fairly easy to pick up almost all the ingredients at a bulk store these days.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence