Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Can't find the S.A.D. thread

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Can't find the S.A.D. thread

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 18, 2008 8:23 am

so I'm starting a new one.
after reading in another post, Lizycordysmum talking about her woes with the black beast, I thought I'd better rethink where I'm at with it.
I stopped the Wellbutrin after 4 days of stomach/intestinal agony and dizziness. Depression returned 3 days later, began it again on the 4th day and tolerated another 3 days of pains.....I stopped for over 7 days now, and .....got what felt like the flu?!! Bouts of sneezing, some coughing, but mostly body aches and lethargy....extreme lethargy, feeling like I've got maple logs for legs. (Just call me "log legs").

but 5 days later, with no fever, coughing gone, the 'loglegs' is still there, and as I look around the house, I see that half-started projects are everywhere (who made all this mess?!)....the Christmas baking never got done, just open cookbooks in places I wouldn't believe I'd put them :shock: .....No soap made, despite dwindling supplies and frequent customer requests......and I vaguely remember thinking, a few days in a row: "I should bake today....I will make soap today...." and then lots of napping taking place instead, fuzzing out in front of a window, watching snowflakes fall; petting the cats; going out to feed deer and birds several times per day; walking around the driveway.

Last night it hit me: these are symptoms of depression, not flu! (it feels so similar.....)

Today I have an appointment with my doc, for blood results re thyroid meds, etc.....I will ask if he has yet another anti-dep for me to try. Friends here are getting great results with Celexa.

Any co-sufferers here who might care to add what works for them? I thought of joining another depression forum, but they are all just too darn depressing. The conversations are so .....awful: full of whining, threatening suicides, asking the meaning of life etc.....

I at least haven't yet lost my sense of humour, Thank Ra. If that goes, or my love of snow....I'll know I'm in serious trouble.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: Can't find the S.A.D. thread

Postby jazz » Dec 18, 2008 9:12 am

Sorry I cant be of any help in the medication dept. My dil is having a major depression and this is all new to me. I will though try to find out about her medication.

I know she had to change it. My heart goes out to yu. Thats all I can over yu. I can listen to yu and hope all goes well.Easier said than done I know. But when other member answer yu will feel much better. jazz
jazz

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 18, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks Jazz....and if nobody else answers this, it's ok. I'll be allright. I don't want to dampen this friendly, lovely, happy place by talking about the blues too often.

I just thought it was interesting that I noticed it, after days of 'being in it' wondering why nothing was getting done.....

The sun is shining at the moment, and I'm going out to git me some! ....and DH needs a haircut, so he's coming to town with me. It will feel festive. I spend far too much time alone out here, nobody to talk to....trying to pinch pennies by not using the car.....and nowhere to walk to, really. It's 20kms to town. I am more perky today, will try to hang onto it.....perkiness, perkiness, joy, snow, play......friends (somewhere, but all busy with Xmas and families right now)....
Trailblaze1

Postby jazz » Dec 18, 2008 10:59 am

Just remember yu are really not alone. I have got lots of help from this forum that has helped me over the years. If it is sunny yes go outside. Take a long shower this will invigorate yu. Give yourself a foot massage. This is good for everyone. Just rub with anything yu got. Cold cream, lotion etc.

How about cooking something yu dont usually do something that is decadent like fudge or something like that.

I have an appt. at noon and i come back around 3 30. I will get back on the forum again just for yu so yu wont feel alone. jazz
jazz

Postby Eeyore » Dec 18, 2008 11:12 am

TB - Good on you for recognizing the symptoms and going to your doctor right away. While you are there ask for your B12 levels to be checked. I've been doing considerable reading about B12 lately and have found that depleted levels can lead to depression and dementia or zoning out type episodes.

I would tend to agree with you about the forums. Taking about depression or any other type of illness all the time would be depressing. It's probably better to be out in the "real" world talking with people about other things than dealing on your illness.

Wishing all the best for you. ((HUGS))
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Dec 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Well one quick observation . . . maybe nothing to do with SAD . . . is that upping yr thyroid meds will increase yr energy levels. Like immediately! . . . the very day u start taking them. :) That could easily have have something to do with yr lethargy.

Secondly . . . who says that we're not allowed a 'down period'? Natural hormone fluctuations will cause this in people who would otherwise say that they have no problems with SAD.

There are many people who would think that "lots of napping taking place instead, fuzzing out in front of a window, watching snowflakes fall; petting the cats; going out to feed deer and birds several times per day; walking around the driveway
" would be a perfect lifestyle. Allow yrself to do that. *For a while.* There should be no blame attached.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling down, I'll deliberately pick some 'emotional' music to listen to, or a sad movie, or something else that actually increases my level of 'downness'. For a while I can wallow in it, allow myself to be a bit maudlin, shed a tear for Tiny Tim, wish that my family was home for Xmas, almost deliberately dwell on the sad aspects of life.

That in itself may be cathartic, but also . . . when I know I'm doing it *controlling it* myself, I sometimes start to smile a bit abt it.

'Sad/down' is a part of life. Above all don't kick yrself for feeling that way.

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Trailblaze, wrote a page in response to yours...Windows shut down on me again...I am a mass of frustration and misery here.

Will just send you my love and my compassion.

Mornings are a total b**** here. Life WILL get better, it has to.

Stopped taking Champix one week ago, head is still a mess...dizzy, STUPID, not functioning properly...and bed in the morning is the only safe place. Anti depressants do NOT help me one bit. Thank DOG for afternoons and evenings.

Vitamin B-12 shots once a month worked for me, till this last time...they WILL again.

HUGS HUGS HUGS to you.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I really appreciate these replies, thank you all.

I will try each and every suggestion - more than once!

I did get a new anti-depressant today, to try for a month. It's fairly new on the market, says my doc...called: Cipralex; an SSRI. He says the neat thing about it is low side-effects, and it can be taken in very low dosages. Supposed to take it mid-afternoon, so I had my first at 2:30PM. It's now 5:30 and I'm feeling a bit hyper but also slightly dizzy. I'm supposed to give it a week for side-effects to wear off. I'll document each day.
Trailblaze1

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Thank you for this...I will check it out. No side effects, has to be a miracle drug!

BEST of luck to you, Trailblaze.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Countryboy » Dec 18, 2008 8:57 pm

There's a lot of good things said abt this drug.

http://www.drugs.com/comments/escitalopram/for-depression.html

Best of luck. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence