Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Can't find the S.A.D. thread

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Can't find the S.A.D. thread

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 18, 2008 9:51 pm

Have read several sites about the Cipralex, and it is definitely NOT for me.

Found a few more sites re the Champix, and now I am very worried. I haven't had any of it for a week, and my head is still screwed up. I mean, it is as tho only half my head is my old familiar one...and the other half is numb, fuzzy...I forget things, don't dare drive.

Mornings are out of the question for me, altho I get up cheerfully for the dogs...by noon, I can face "the dawn." Afternoons and evenings are fine (except for my head)...I'm cheerful, life is funny, life is good.

I have used 5 mg of Paxil for several years, for "restful, restorative sleep"...I have Fibromyalgia...this is the only anti-dee my system tolerates, and it must be in the smallest dose...any more and I do not get out of bed, just sleep, deeply.

I went looking at the sites in hopes of finding out how long it will take for the Champix to wear off, get out of my system...this isn't ME. When I went on this drug, everything was simply great in my life...avid interest in hobbies, enjoying life.

I do believe it will get better, I know that lots are in far worse shape than I am. My doctor wanted me to double the Paxil (I slept and slept, so quit the double dose)...and then the muzzy head thing happened and hasn't quit, altho I'm taking just the usual 5 mg dose again. I did not get any counselling or support re quitting smoking...doctor did mention huge lawsuits against the company...and when I hit bottom (I assume that was bottom?) she said to stop it entirely immediately, and take double the Paxil, and she'd see me in a month, and "we'll try acupuncture or maybe the patch again."

I am really fed up with being a guinea pig for drug companies. And, I'm annoyed with myself, I KNOW I have to be very watchful with drugs.

GRRRRRR.

Thank you, DOG, for afternoons and evenings, and for the lovely lovely snow...and for good good email buddies.

Good luck everyone...I should have listened to my Mommy "DON'T put that in your mouth!"
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 19, 2008 10:43 am

Liz....you aren't alone either! We can be alone together, hehe....but this forum is a real boon too.. but if ppl who don't know or understand depression they might just give this topic a pass....hopefully. It always surprises me to find out how many silent sufferers there are, until I start talking....then they open up, and get some relief.

The one pill I took yesterday at 2:30 made me very sleep at 8PM, so I read until 9, fell asleep but woke up at 11 with a huge buzz on.....like I'd had too much caffeine! Or those daytime cold or allergy medications - know those? You feel like you're buzzing with energy, but somehow tired at the same time.....craziness!
So I read until 4AM, fell asleep until 5 when the cat woke me at its usual time, and I've been awake since, with only 3 hours sleep. :shock:

I'm afraid to take today's pill. Maybe I'll skip a day, try again tomorrow morning, instead of afternoon. I wonder if I can take only half. My doc is the most difficult guy to get hold of, Tuesday evenings are best, when he and his wife work late.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 19, 2008 1:36 pm

MiDog...the forum let me in here without signing in...is this a miracle, or what?

Trailblaze...I have been awake and up for 70 minutes without wanting to hide under the blankets, the muzziness is GONE...it's a beautiful world out there again...my whole head is MINE. Was it just a drug reaction? (no "just" about it.) I'm scared to hope it is over, I have made it...oh please, please, please.

Well I'm going to enjoy it. It is a beautiful day out there (I MUST be nuts, it is minus 11)

Last night I ordered an S.A.D. light from the catalogue...it won't get here till the 24th...but, we are supposed to have sunshine, cold, and much more snow till the end of the month.

I don't get the same reaction to cold or allergy meds that you mention...I sleep and sleep on the non-drowsy variety, don't dare take the nighttime ones. No buzz, just drag my a$$ around when I am awake.

Now, for "buzz"...last night I made myself a huge mug of hot chocolate...Fry's cocoa, 2 heaping dessertspoonsful, same of sugar, big shot of Ice Java (very chocolatey, bit of taste of coffee) and hot milk...it was scrumptious (first thing that has tasted good in a week)...I got so sleepy, slept like a log all night...woke at 8 and I have ENERGY and the world is a bright and beautiful place again. I'm a constant Coke drinker, like espresso, like English Breakfast tea or Yorkshire Gold tea...so always have caffeine going for me...for me, this is normal, I am not o.d.ing on Coke/caffeine. (NO, I don't have diabetes, I've had the tests, the long ones.)

I don't know ANYTHING about the drug you are on...I SUSPECT there'll be some effects still from the Welbutrin, and now the new one...I don't know enough to say or give advice which is darned dangerous...it's dreadful that our doctors don't know about drug effects, that I guess no one can know how an individual is going to react...we need our own chemists devoting their lives to us, I think.

I hope with all my heart today is better for you. It is possible that your system only needs half the pill...or maybe you should take half and add the other half as you adjust, I DON'T KNOW. Perhaps you just need to adjust to the drug??? Maybe the buzz...the energy...is good, just you aren't used to feeling energy??? I wish your doctor was reachable...how about the pharmacist? They are knowledgeable HERE.

I hope this next makes you laugh...last night there was a short bit on tv...about koala bears. Seems these guys like to sleep 20 hours a day, and exist on a diet of eucalyptus leaves. I thought, you know...I could swap places with a Koala bear and be "normal"...wonder if eucalyptus is safe for humans to eat! (I don't like the smell of it tho.)

Are you getting the bad stormy weather? You are in Ontario, yes? If so, BEST of luck...keep warm, keep safe. Take naps when you need them, be good to yourself.

and big big hugs...stay in touch.
Much love,
Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks Liz.
Wow, you do have a different body system from mine if you can sleep after caffeine, chocolate. Both those things keep me WIDE AWAKE all night too, with legs kicking.

So, I guess we each have to find what works best for us.

It's now 1:45PM and I'm just coming down from the 'buzz'. Arms and legs still feel a bit 'in contraction', as if somebody had been holding them down for awhile, and now they're free and want to sproing out in all directions. Hope to do some yoga once I can move all the furniture again.....wouldn't it be great to have a dedicated room for such things?

So far the mood is ok. I went to the local community knitting group this A.M. with 7 women attending. We laugh and have fun, and I got half a hat knit (a bulky tuque - knits up quickly).

I realized that this is my only social outing, that being a hermit, working alone at home making soap all the time (while DH sits with his back to me at his computer).... may be the worst thing I can do. I used to be sociable, when younger. A group of the ladies are going to join Weight Watchers in January. I hate counting food calories, or 'points' so don't want to participate......altough I could stand to lose 20-30 pounds....but maybe I should do it just to get out (now that shows how desperate I am) . Maybe I could start a thread about "what do ppl do for social fun? Choirs? bowling? skiing? ......when we cannot garden, that is...
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Trailblaze, we hermits do bring a lot on ourselves, I know. However, I have a lifetime of depending on my own inner resources, my own needs to be alone to do the things I love doing, without interruption...I LIKE people well enough, I just don't need the kind of socializing many folks regard as very necessary.

This works wonderfully, till something like you are mentioning, happens. Then, we really need folks...for me, I go to the mall, smile at everyone (it's a small town, folks smile back) go to the library where the folks are friendly and welcoming.

I keep thinking I should join the Reading Group...I swore I would attend the Craft group at the senior's centre, sit and crochet/knit, whilst the others do their sewing stuffs. There's another woman who sits and knits, joins in conversation when she feels like it...but, mornings have been a bit of a bugbear, as you know.

I believe you are talking about muscle twitches/jerks...and they ARE a side effect...I know they are for Welbutrin, maybe for the new drug...but perhaps if everything else goes well, you can cope?

I'm so glad for you that your mood has changed...that's the GOAL. Muscle jerks are no fun, watch out for hot liquids, etc. And try not to clip your husband in the ear...cats won't appreciate it either!

Gardening...I did get that lovely big book about varieties of Lilacs...could almost smell the lilacs...oh my! I read/look at tons of Christmas magazines, quilting, art quilts...cookbooks...and Dog bless the forum and other computer websites.

I've never belonged to Weight Watchers...but as long as there isn't any ridiculing going on, it should be okay...maybe you'll find someone to walk with, some kind of exercise group that suits you? I don't count calories, I went for the smaller portions...took time, but it DID and DOES work (for me.)

I sing like a crow. Body state says no to bowling, skiing. Can go walkies, altho walkies get boring mostly as there are 2 streets here near me that are level, the rest are very hilly. The fresh snowfall made everything so delightful that it was NOT boring!

Could go to senior's aquasize at the rec centre, but water isn't same temp. each time, and is sometimes cold which is a no no...means pain which I like to avoid!

You are one fast knitter! I too use chunky wools, but I don't fly at 'er like you do!

Thinking of you...good thoughts!
Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence