Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

It is not yet winter - -

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

It is not yet winter - -

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 18, 2008 10:09 am

It is not yet winter & yet we have already burned half our firewood. :cry:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: It is not yet winter - -

Postby Sheikea » Dec 18, 2008 10:14 am

Yikes!!I have been askign for fire wood from hubby for the last three years and he keeps finding some excuse not to bring it home to me.I am even willing to do all the work you know the chopping,stacking,covering ect....Next year I am just going to order it before he even knows what happens and then at least I will have it. :D
Sheikea

Postby OGrubber » Dec 18, 2008 10:23 am

That's not good Ron.
Will you be able to get seasoned wood somewhere?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 18, 2008 10:26 am

Oh dear!....Is this your main source of heat?

We started out with 4 full cords, so hopefully we won't run out. What do you do if you run out, Ron? Around here, there are 'scalpers' who will charge 1/3rd of the cost more than usual, if you buy mid-winter. Good luck with it! We have electric baseboard heaters for backup, but tooooo expensive.
for kindling, we walk the frozen ponds and break off dead tree branches....pines work best.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby butterfly » Dec 18, 2008 10:46 am

Then there are hopefully not those like me who pays for wood and the ass*&Le doen'r deliver the wood and keeps the money

So many people called him including me and RCMP in the past 2 months and he will not answer hsi phone or even stays home. I lost work staying home waiting for it when he told me he was coming but no show

Preparing for court to sue the bast^^$# Paper work overload
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 18, 2008 11:53 am

OGrubber wrote:That's not good Ron.
Will you be able to get seasoned wood somewhere?

Prolly Inge but at a huge price. Looks like we will be burning oil but at least the price has come down a little.
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Wish I could send you some. I have piles of it all over the downstairs by the river, since the pine beetle, blister rust and copper miner killed quite a few of my birch and pine. Its all seasoned too. And stacked down there. So you could have it if you had the gumption to bring it up the old Bruce's butt-slam road.

kat
Katherine

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks but no-thanks Kat.

This years firewood is oak & it was piled all the way to this end of the porch as high as our heads. This is how it looks now.
Attachments
18-03.JPG
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Thats ok, its a long drive :shock: I have only burned small amounts of oak as firewood, many years ago, and its hot and lasts a long time. Its almost not worth it to bring all that paper birch and western white pine and lodgepole pine up the hill for the amount of heat it generates, not to mention the carbon emissions and the particulate, even if it IS seasoned. The offer stands but I dont think you will be driving out here any time soon to pick up this firewood. We like larch if we can get it. I have one larch tree and its not going anywhere. But that is a fine looking pile of firewood, although diminished.

ke
Katherine

Postby testing » Dec 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Time to get the long johns and sweaters on Ron.

My place is electricity but I also have a wood pellet stove as I find wood heat feels warmer than electric heat.

This year pellets went up about 20% in price and there was also a shortage. I think the reason is more people were buying stoves as they realized it was a cheap source of heat and suppliers realized they could make a few extra bucks by raising the price.

I hope I have enough, depends on the weather. Because I have large south facing windows, if the sun shines, I use very little heat.
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence