Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Supper Dec. 18

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Supper Dec. 18

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 18, 2008 7:33 pm

I got three boneless/skinless chicken breast halves reduced to $2.20 this morning that I made into a chicken stir-fry.

18-05.JPG

Had some of my 25% whole wheat Italian bread with it.

18-06.JPG
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: Supper Dec. 18

Postby bluewillow » Dec 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Your dinner looks so very tempting Ron .... Mmmmmm

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby B_BQ » Dec 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Ron, if that doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will! :wink:
That looks like a very healthy and happy meal - and cheap too! :roll:

You do get some great deals. The only thing I find with cheap chicken breasts is that they are usually pumped full of water and lose most of their mass when cooked! But at ?$2.20 was it, who cares!

I also did a fairly cheap meal. I got a huge piece of pork shoulder a couple of days ago. I cooked it in the slow cooker all day with all sorts of other saucy goodies. We ate it simply, as they do in the South, with bread - in our case Ciabatta rather than a roll.

To our taste buds it was awesome.

The shoulder roast cost me $9. There are at least another 2 meals for each of us - so at least 6 meals for $9. Not as good as some of your good buys, but a good one for me!

No pic!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Well we came close to the same meal today. I also got some pork shoulder chops this morning @ half price & had a problem deciding between pulled pork or chicken stir-fry for supper. I simmered the chops for several hours today & will have them shredded with some sauce for supper tomorrow. :)
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Dec 19, 2008 1:53 am

Looks really good, Ron. An usual pairing of stirfry and bread, but I'm sure it was delicious.

We had beef stew and dumplings. The younger son requested dad make him a couple of hot dogs instead. :roll:

Brenda,

The chicken breasts that are sold fresh in the tray packs are good. The ones that are pumped full of water/brine are those ones sold in the large card board boxes. These are hugely popular where I live, but I tried it once and found them to be weird and rubbery. I try to buy fresh chicken breasts when on sale and freeze for later.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Dec 19, 2008 9:11 am

DonnaZn2SK wrote:The chicken breasts that are sold fresh in the tray packs are good.

I really like the Costco chicken breasts and normally buy 3 or 4 trays.
When I get them home I lay them out individually on cookie trays and freeze them individually; then I pop them into large baggies. It's easy to then take out 1 or 2 as needed.
My daughter tells me that Wal-Mart carry the same line of chicken breasts, so that's good to know, although I rarely venture into the store, maybe in the spring to see what they have in the garden centre.
I also buy plain chicken breasts at M&Ms when they go on sale. They're already individually frozen, so less work.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Dec 19, 2008 9:21 am

That looks scrumptious Ron!

... like the touch of green. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Eeyore » Dec 19, 2008 11:27 am

OMgoodness! That looks wonderful. Nice big pieces of veggies and meat. And my favorite stirfry veggie.... 'shrooms!!!!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Over the Garden Fence