Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

What do you do for social outings?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

What do you do for social outings?

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 19, 2008 2:59 pm

,,,especially in wintertime, when we can't garden....

The only thing I do is go to a Friday morning knitting group, at neighbour's houses. I work from home, DH is here but doesn't talk to me at the best of times. He's a quiet sort of guy, a loner, and works incessantly on the 'puter.
I suppose I could join a choir; lots of neighbours belong to various ones. The next group forming up is for Weight Watchers, which doesn't sound like a whole lotta fun......

Once a week in January, Feb, DH invites a group of neighbours over to watch movies on an evening. (he's a big movie buff). I'm not a terrific driver in snow, nor at night....so it limits things a bunch. And we live on a lone country road with only a handful of neighbours.

what do you do to be sociable?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: What do you do for social outings?

Postby Northpine » Dec 19, 2008 3:29 pm

My main social outing is curling. It meshes perfectly with gardening. There's really no overlap of the seasons. It's a winter sport played indoors, so you get the benefit of fresh air without the windchill factor. Plus it's good exercise and lots of fun.
I curl 2 evenings and 1 afternoon a week usually.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Venice » Dec 19, 2008 6:37 pm

Umm it's pretty much hanging out with the neighbors. We have several families on the street we're good friends with and end up hanging out a few times a week. In the summer it's practically every afternoon/evening. In the winter it's not as often, but we we are having our annual Wine & Cheese Xmas part tomorrow night. We do secret Santa now 'cause there's too many neighbors to buy something for everyone.

Sometimes I go out shopping with the girls, and we'll grab something to eat. We used to go out as a group to breakfast on the weekends but haven't done that in a long time.

Since I moved to Canada a few years ago, and work with hubby in his own business, there's not a lot of places for me to really meet other people. And so far this is working out just fine. Even Gizmo has a big social network in the neighborhood. On Halloween all the kids were like 'look it's Gizmo' and my hubby is like who are these people??? heheh but they see him on walks and at the park.

Ven
Venice

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 19, 2008 8:13 pm

hmmm, all day and only 2 replies. Methinks this forum is not into socializing much.....well, I'm in good company then.
Trailblaze1

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 19, 2008 8:22 pm

My family tell me to go to Stepping Stones,,,,,as[co=][/]eniors center. I find there are too many "old people" there!JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Laura » Dec 19, 2008 8:28 pm

I mostly stay at home but do go out with one friend occasionally.I am rather shy and do better one on one.Hubby encouraged me to use the camera and when I get started on a "project" hours can go by and I don't realize it.

I think going to WW might be a good thing,you would meet new people and get out of the house.

My sil takes a class each winter to get out of the house and do something different.Is this something you could do ?
Laura

Postby bridgit On 5b » Dec 19, 2008 8:30 pm

I think it depends at what stage you are at in your life. Right now we spend a lot of time with parents from our kids sports teams. We make good friends with the other parents. Its nice because then the kids and the parents both have someone to hang out with. I do hockey moms and volunteer for our school. I do more for church now since a childhood school mate became our parish priest. Since I still live near the area I grew up in I still hang out with childhood friends and go shopping, coffee etc. Before we had kids my husband was in the military. You hear stories about how close militariy people and families are and that is definitely true. I don't think a day went by where we didn't have one of his platoon mates or their families/girlfriends over. I kind of miss those days, even though we all still keep in touch, that bond is really nice. I hope when the kids are gone (although I am not rushing it) I can get more involved with hobbies like join an art or book group.
bridgit On 5b

Postby Katherine » Dec 19, 2008 8:46 pm

TB, sorry not to answer sooner, was getting my pregnant daughter married to her boyfriend. lol!

You and I could be the same person by your description, except my husband is even less sociable than yours. He has virtually no friends. He is close to his family and they are great people but they all live far away. He is a wonderful man and I love him, but he hardly ever talks, to me or anyone else. I too work at home, or in the field. He watches hockey all winter on tv or works on his photographs on the computer. In the summer he takes photos and occassionally we travel to places where he can take photos. Long ago I learned I must learn to occupy myself. When we lived in Victoria, I could get out to plays or attend concerts or shop, but here its pretty dull.

For social life I might call my old friends I have had for a long time, or family, on the phone, or do stuff with my daughters. Often I just work for want of something to do, but thats not social. Its kind of worrying for me because I know its probably not good for my health. I also decided about three years ago that I was probably drinking too much alchohol because I was just plain bored and lonely, so I cut way back on that, and that has made a big difference in my health and feeling of well being. I live in a very antisocial place, but my friends here tell me to just get on the phone and call people to do stuff, and not wait for them to call you. So I think I will try to do that more.

Thanks for posting this, its a very good subject to bring up here, because I think we all have a bit of this in our lives.

kat
Katherine

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Trailblaze1 wrote:hmmm, all day and only 2 replies. Methinks this forum is not into socializing much.....well, I'm in good company then.

Nearly other than family visits, this forum is it for me. Neighborhood friends all moved away.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Well I'm glad I brought up the topic. I felt this was a place with many kindred souls, separated only by distance. Ain't the internet wonderful?
One can find people with similar hobbies, tastes, jobs etc....just at the touch of some keys. Takes a bit of looking though. It took me a long while to find my way here, even though I've been gardening alone for 30 years. (My husband doesn't garden either....he really isn't into organic life forms, just mostly metal, wood, plastic (as in computers and videos and music CD's.)
My hobbies run to the old-fashioned; knitting with hand held needles (no machinery); quilting by hand (took me 4 years to make one double-bed quilt; I'll never make another.) I got into soapmaking by accident, but it's so varied and fun, it does keep me going, and pays for itself. I cook from scratch mostly, love playing with herbs and spices.
I used to ski and windsurf, even did a bit of sailing.....which got me into buying my own board, and that was a love of my life in my 40's. I do have a good singing voice.....so it's just a matter of getting meself out there and do some of all that stuff with others, not just alone.

Well, this might be just a little bit too much about me.....tell me about YOU.
Trailblaze1

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence