Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

What do you do for social outings?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: What do you do for social outings?

Postby earwig » Dec 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Besides working 2 or 3 days a week I also take Tai Chi weekly. I also have a couple of neighbours that we make a point of going to Tims for a gossip/bitch session weekly.

I also try and visit a couple of elderly relatives weekly as they don't get out that much in the winter and are always looking for a gab fest.

I also have friends where I retired from in 2001 that I meet 4 or 5 times over the winter for a night out. We don't need much for an excuse to have a night out, birthday, marriage, divorce, new house, new job, or even winning a contest gives us an excuse to get together and have a few laughs. The couple of weeks we take to plan the events keeps us busy on email in between.

I do have relatives near by (too many at times) but I do tend to see them more in the summer.

I like to read and play computer games as well as skiing so although I really dislike November, the rest of the winter I can keep myself quite contented.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Katherine » Dec 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Lol, Betty, November's just too dark and blah for ya, eh? I am not that crazy about February come to think of it.

Re telling you about myself, um, what's to tell? Everything I do is wrapped up in my work, pretty much. I spend a lot of time writing or in the field collecting data , then writing about it. I have a couple of people I work with and I really enjoy them. One of them is from Montreal, so I am brushing up on my French. Have a hip thing, so my skiis are in the basement this year and I used to Curves every couple days and I really miss that.

This thread has got me thinking I look pretty dismal in print and need to get a life!!

Kat
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Dec 20, 2008 12:12 am

February is my blah month.... :roll:

Socializing eh? I work 40+ hours a week so free time is scarce. I have 2 very good girlfriends that I don't see often enough. I TRY to get together with each one at least once a month for drinks or coffee but it usually stetches to 2 or 3 months between get togethers. I also try to get out with my daughter once a week. Other than that I keep myself busy doing various projects or chores in the evenings. I also talk to youse guys and check out Facebook and catch up there. I get to my e-mail about once a week.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Dec 20, 2008 9:31 am

This forum is pretty well it, for me.
I spend almost all of my time with business related activities. Probably why I get cranky at times. laf!
February is the worst month for cabin fever, around here.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby evepet » Dec 20, 2008 12:54 pm

An interesting topic. I felt I needed to chime in here as I sense some 'kindred spirits'. I'm single, 57, and work from home. It seems to get progressively harder to meet compatible people as I get older - men or women. So as a result, I'm afraid I've allowed myself to 'isolate' a bit too much. That's probably one of the reasons I enjoy having a cat for company as much as I do. My work has me on the phone a lot, so I'm constantly in contact with people that way, but my 'face to face' social interactions are rather scarce. I used to live in Trenton, right next door to a Seniors' Residence/Nursing Home. Volunteering there gave me a reason to get out and socialize, and I also felt good about helping the residents. I also don't have a car, which creates further problems about getting around - especially in winter weather. Things have to be fairly handy to get to, or I just don't do it, especially in this cold weather. I've recently started making friends with a neighbor who lives upstairs in the same building. She's in her early '60s and divorced, a major cat lover. She's impressed me as being a very nice person, and I hope that our friendship continues to grow. We've talked about going to a few of the activities that they have at our city's Senior's Club, but I do predict that most of the people there will be much older than us. But at least it will give us both a reason to 'get out'.

Part of my problem is that I'm a lot younger than my siblings, and grew up figuring out my own ways of amusing myself, etc. I had friends of course, through all the various stages of life, but I've never been a person who needed (or wanted) a lot of continuous social contact. I need and like my personal time, and can't say that I'm lonely. Sometimes a litle bored, but not lonely. It's more that I'm aware that I probably 'should' be making more of an effort to socialize.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby Katherine » Dec 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Thats interesting. I too was much younger than Ogre, Troll (lol) and my sister, who died in 81. So I too grew up amusing myself on my own most of the time. I suppose that is why I am mostly ok with being my ownly companion.
Katherine

Postby evepet » Dec 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Katherine wrote:Thats interesting. I too was much younger than Ogre, Troll (lol) and my sister, who died in 81. So I too grew up amusing myself on my own most of the time. I suppose that is why I am mostly ok with being my ownly companion.

I think that has a lot to do with it Katherine. IMO we probably developed that instinct early, to be ok on our own and not require constant social interaction. Also, like you, I developed too much of a fondness for alcohol at one point in my life. There were some other things going on in my life that contributed to it, but I believe that boredom had a lot to do with that too. I know that I reach for food sometimes when I'm just bored. I'm trying to ensure that my cat 'Missy' doesn't do that, but I'm just as much of a culprit.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby Katherine » Dec 20, 2008 1:35 pm

This has actually explained a lot to me in a way I had never considered, really. So thanks for opening my eyes.

Self indulgence may be a symptom of boredom, I also have tended to eat too much when bored or when work becomes stressful. Which it often is.

If you have been reading my threads lately, Evepet, you will know that I have just had a husbands birthday on thursday, (he needs to feel his birthday is not confused with Christmas), and my daughters wedding yesterday. So now I must start Christmas shopping. I have not even so much as gotten a list yet. I will be thinking of you.

kat
Katherine

Postby evepet » Dec 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Katherine, I guess I missed the posts about your DH's birthday. But I did notice that your daughter just got married yesterday. I've sure you've had a busy time. Enjoy your Christmas shopping, etc. It looks to me like you're also going to be busy enough in the immediate future that you won't have time to be bored at least until after the holidays! :lol: I've always felt that I probably had a lot in common with quite a few posters here, and as time goes on and 'bits and pieces' get revealed, I realize more and more just how true that is. :) Happy Holidays, Katherine.
evepet

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Lordy, Ron and I must be related...except for family visits mostly in the summer, I do not have company, and I have always enjoyed being alone, husband isn't into sharing life, has his own interests. I was an only child, was left on my own (mom worked) from the time I was 7, and learned to rely on myself...and library books. This forum IS my social life, God bless you everyone!

I have taught myself how to do all sorts of things, and these of course are things one does alone...I was and am, too advanced to take classes, and health is too unpredictable to teach and share what I have learned.

Trailblaze, you must look at Art Quilts on the internet if you still like the idea of quilting but not doing major projects like bedsizes...Wall hangings DELIGHT me. (but that's ME.) Also, if you are interested, please Google Navaho-Walk in Beauty (something I strongly believe in, btw.)

I'm also with the folks who mentioned alcohol became a problem...boredom, yes, but mostly I would work so hard, alone...so enjoyably (and so exhausting,) that when I stopped I sat down and poured a glass - or too many - of wine to carry on the good feelings. Bad bad habit, such an easy one to get caught in. So wonderful to escape it.

All PRAISES to everyone who has found new friendships, enjoys old ones, who is able to get out there and DO things.

And ALL praises to Cdn Gardening for providing this forum for those of us who cannot do ...for giving us all the opportunity to grow the ability to be able to speak out like this, freely, without shame, without fear. And, all praises to everyone here who has opened themselves to others. We are a dang good bunch!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence