Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

What do you do for social outings?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: What do you do for social outings?

Postby jazz » Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm

My little two cents here. With my ms i am limited. Ice frightens me and I hate cold. My neighbors call me the bear in hibernaton. I come out in May till late Oct and just come in to sleep.

I go out with h for errands and to the restaurant for breakie. I have to know all the restaurants by heart that have elevators. Climbing is hard with a cane.
So in the winter I rely on this forum and a few email friends I have made here. Yu know who yu are lol.

But life would not be the same without this forum. Without ron and b bq. I couldnt eat. Without squig I couldnt do computer work. i wouldnt smile daily without laura. And get more knowledge from bf. Oliva with her words of wisdom. Lee for his humour.And katherine for her advise on doing things when we think we cant. There are more. But I dont want to hurt feelings by not remembering. So all thanks Jazz
jazz

Postby jazz » Dec 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Oh I forgot bw for her unbelievale knowledge and dear dear Mare who i have to read two or three times to understand lol. jazz
jazz

Postby jazz » Dec 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Kelly and Lyn how could i forget. Without them forum help would be almost non existent. jazz
jazz

Postby butterfly » Dec 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Not a lot. I am not good to go anywhere in crowds by myself

I go to Red Hatters once a month, we have pot lucks, go our for lunch or dinner or have agattering at one one their cottages at the beach in summer or a BBQ or a tour etc.

Summer time yard sales

I do have a few friends I visit and my daughters and grandchildren

Or go to a movie with one of my friends or meet for lunch
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby davefrombc » Dec 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I do a lot of chatting with international net friends, as well as reading and posting to some fish keeping and gardening groups I belong to. Since MSN is closing their groups in February , we have been searching for places to move to. I'm glad Frank found this one and told us about it so several of us are now new members here.
I visit with some of my "fishy" friends locally and with family and a couple of old friends from work.

Here's a suggestion for administrators .. When everything is sorted out here, and all the bugs have been eliminated, Add a live chat to the forum.

Most live chats get well used at first , but then slow down ; but they are a great addition to a forum for those of us who are too impatient for e-mail or forum replies to carry on a conversation
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby butterfly » Dec 20, 2008 6:10 pm

I did get back into singing this Fall. I joined a choir. Haven;t done this in years and haven' sung in public for a few years

I am singing tomorrow nite in a conert, a solo no less and every day, now hour ,I am getting more nervous by the minute

I really do have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomache rushing up into my throat

gulp!!

So nervous the last time I was thi nervous I gave my oldest daughter away at her wedding

The nite before at the rehersal, what came over me I don't know but half way down the ilse I burst into tears , just looked at her and sobbed and the day of the wedding. I had a terrible fight to keep from fainiting . My legs shoke so bad.

so many people noticed my shakes even EX hubby was ready to jump up out of his seat and catch me he said.

Ven

when my sister lived in Victoria she walked her dog every day.

Every knew the dog;s name but not hers and she knew everyone by their dogs name

People don't socialized like they did years ago or even get to know the neighbours like we used to
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby B_BQ » Dec 20, 2008 6:41 pm

I thought when my DH retired 3 years ago that we would be out and about more, go to the theatre, concerts, lunch, (I prefer going out for lunch more pleasurable than going out for dinner), take long walks, catch up on all the chat we'd not done for so many years, (he was too busy talking to others all day that he didn't talk much when he came home!), but unfortunately we are still very busy.

He has changed his work environment, but is doing more and more at home. And I in turn am so busy keeping on top of all the reports and correspondence! And the darn phone never stops ringing!

Spring, Summer and Fall, is no problem, as I love to be in the garden - not necessarily doing hard work, but often just puttering and planning and harvesting.

Winter is difficult. My DH had a hip replacement, and I've had two back surgeries, with still a lot of problems, so we don't get to do much walking!

I do try to get on the treadmill each day, but if I don't do it first thing in the morning I seem to get too busy to find the time.

I love to cook, (some of you may have guessed that), and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, not only preparing meals but also reading from my 100s of cookery books. Some of the books I have never cooked anything from, but I do love to look at them.

We've become friends with our next-door-neighbours. She's an avid gardener, so we're always chatting in the garden, and also they're interested in food and wine, so we get together occasionally to catch up over a meal or a glass of wine.

We're also members of the Opimium Society, (wine enthusiasts), and there's usually a tasting and dinner once a month. That's a lot of fun, and our neighbours have just joined, (we invited them to come with us one time, and they really enjoyed it), so we go together.

But really I can't say I do very much. Once supper is cleared away I usually spend some time here on the computer, catching up on the forum chat. We watch Corrie each night, and sometimes will watch a movie later, but usually we're both pretty tired at the end of a busy day.

My brothers and sisters live in England, so we chat a lot by email!

We do take a holiday either in the Fall or early Spring, (sometimes both), and we find that charges the batteries.

I used to knit and sew, (not now though with arthritic thumbs!), and was a potter at one time. We also bred, showed and trained dogs, and I was very involved with that. I was editor of our dog club newsletter and enjoyed putting that together.

I also curled in the winter, (wish I still could but can't), and played squash and tennis in the summer.

Now I think just curling up with a good book, in front of a nice fire, is a very nice pastime during the winter months.

But obviously, reading through this, I need to get out and socialize and be more active, but that's hard work and I'm getting too lazy to put forth an effort!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lulu » Dec 20, 2008 10:50 pm

For many reasons, this past month has been an extremely difficult time for me; my best/oldest friend lost her battle with cancer; her funeral was today.

I am not generally a moody or depressed person, however, in less than three weeks, 8 people that I considered friends, have died, 6 of them, very, very, unexpected. This is just too much sadness!

So, Liz, thank you,,your post convinced me to re-connect here.
Lulu

Postby Pansy » Dec 20, 2008 11:43 pm

Boy aren't we a bunch of misfits..we belong on misfit Island with Rudolph.LOL
I believe we were all lead here to care for each other.
I go out too much,it seems I'm always running.This started about 4 or 5 years ago...
I lost my best friend...my Mother & my Sister within a 9 months period.Before then
we hardly went anywhere,But at this time I decided there has to be more to life
than sitting home watching the Boob Tube every night.Now I like being sociable,
we stay home 3 days out of 7...some of our time is spent with our Children & GBabies.
The rest of the time with friends.I still haven't figured out if I'm still running away from things
or running to something.But you guys make me laugh & keep me happy.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Eeyore » Dec 21, 2008 12:45 am

Lulu, I am so glad to see you back. I have been missing you! How is your mother?

I'm so sorry to hear of all the sadness and stress you've had to bear with your dear friends passing away. I hope that you can find some solace here.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence