Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Recharge Mower?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Recharge Mower?

Postby Caseyret » Jul 08, 2009 3:25 pm

We recently bought a new Recharge Mower and I was so excited that I decided to stop lurking, join Canadian Gardening and tell you about it!

We've been debating about getting a riding mower for a while now. Some health issues have begun to limit our mobility(knees for me, back and hip for the wife) and mowing the lawn has become a big issue. It was either get a riding mower or hire someone to do it for us but, honestly, we enjoy being outside and didn't want to give up that time in the sun.

We'd looked around for a bit but were generally unhappy with the types of mowers we'd been coming across. We've got an older home and the gates aren't a standard size. Almost all of the mowers we came across were huge and that made it incredibly difficult to get from our front to backyard. Comfort was also a big deal, as my back issues aren't helped by heavy vibrations(something we experienced with almost every other mower we tried) so whatever route we choose needed to have comfort in mind. Most importantly of all, we needed a green machine. We've been Earth aware for a number of years and knew a green machine is what we had to have.

After months of searching and having no luck, a neighbor's sister called saying she had heard we needed a new mower and had recently purchased one herself. She invited us over to check it out...and as soon as we saw it, we knew it was what we had to have.

It featured everything we wanted. Big comfortable seats, and since there's no engine, there's none of the heavy vibrations like you get from other mowers. All the buttons and levers are close and within a comfortable reach, that means no having to bend all over the place to reach and use things. They're all really easy to figure out too. It's a smaller then standard size, so there's a ton of room for us to get between the front and backyards. As I mentioned, there isn't an engine, it runs on rechargeable batteries which means no emissions...and there's the green we wanted!

Our mower runs for about 3 hours on one charge. Lots and lots of time for us to get the front and back lawn done. I can usually get both done twice with one charge. Best of all, it only costs about 55cents to charge it. The savings on gas is amazing!

So, I can't be the only one. Has anyone else used one of these mowers? What do you think?
Caseyret

Re: Recharge Mower?

Postby Eeyore » Jul 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Sounds like it was just the thing for you! My husband was looking at rechargable mowers in the spring. We don't need the ride-on though. You are right, most of them are huge machines! I'd sure like to know if anyone else has one and what they think of them, either the ride-ons or the push mowers.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Caseyret » Jul 18, 2009 9:11 am

We're still in love with ours. Really can't get over how great a machine it is. Anyone else tried one yet? Pretty sure *EVERYONE* would love it.
Caseyret

Postby Lulu » Jul 18, 2009 9:20 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum, Caseyret!

Would be very interested in this type of rechargable mower; can you post a picture of it, or provide the brand name/specs,,and possibly the price? And, how would it be getting up and down a fairly steep hill? Tell us more!
Lulu

Postby Caseyret » Jul 18, 2009 9:54 am

Lulu wrote:Would be very interested in this type of rechargable mower; can you post a picture of it, or provide the brand name/specs,,and possibly the price? And, how would it be getting up and down a fairly steep hill? Tell us more!

Here's a picture of it:

I'm pretty sure Recharge Mower is the name of both the company and the mower itself.
We ordered ours off their website and it cost us around $2400. That site also has all the specs and information you would need, you can check it out here: http://www.rechargemower.com/about.php? ... llcenter=1

As for steep hills, I think you'd be able to get up and down them, you'll use a little more power, so your charge won't last quite as long but I still think you'd be good.
Caseyret

Postby bluewillow » Jul 18, 2009 10:04 am

Isn't she a cute little number. My space is very limited so this would not be suitable. Welcome to the forum.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Caseyret » Jul 18, 2009 10:25 am

bluewillow wrote:Isn't she a cute little number. My space is very limited so this would not be suitable. Welcome to the forum.

bw

That's one of the things I love about it actually. It's smaller then a typical riding mower, so it's easier to store. Getting it in and out of the backyard was a big deal for us and it being smaller worked wonders.
Caseyret

Postby Lulu » Jul 19, 2009 8:31 am

Oh,,,it's on my "wish list", now! Will show hubby the website,,to get his opinion!

We have a riding lawnmower, that has given us nothing but a bunch of trouble, in the 9 years we've had it,,and is often either not working at all, or when it is working, is not working properly! It is always very, very loud and produces a lot of emissions! Not at all in keeping with trying to reduce one's carbon footprint!

Thanks for posting this, Caseyret!
Lulu

Postby Caseyret » Jul 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Hey Lulu, if you get one, please let us all know what you think! I think it's be great to hear what more people have to say. We love ours so much.
Caseyret

Postby Lulu » Jul 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I very much doubt if it'll be this year; budget all spent on new windows,,and the repairs to the wall that came with the new windows!

But,,it's pretty high up on next year's list!
Lulu

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence