Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Postby otnorot » Jul 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Well I just took a trip there thanks to street view,I loved that program and I think I saw every episode and it was on for 19 years.

The town is Gibson B.C. and I also saw "Molly’s Reach ".

What a beautiful town,I wouldn't mind living there.

Bill
otnorot

Re: Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Never watch it.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Jul 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Bruno Gerussi(?) comes to mind! Didn't follow it, but saw the odd episode or two. The scenery always reminded me of a refined Newfoundland! :roll:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Jul 04, 2010 12:47 am

Yes, I do remember the show. Street View doesn't look a thing like I remember it though.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Jul 04, 2010 7:09 am

Wasn't planning to GoogleEarth in beautiful BC this weekend. I'm still doing the Swiss Alps, so will do a detour, Bill. Remember watching Beachcombers after school when it was my turn to change channels with the pliers once a week. :wink: Liked the sea planes especially.
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby bluebird » Jul 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Oh I do remember that show...had a "little girl" crush on Pat Johns! Swoon. :lol:
bluebird

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jul 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I DO remember that show, but it wasn't one of my very most favorites, so just watched the odd episode. I remember Bruno, the old geezer with a few days beard growth, and a bird ?, but not what kind of bird.....the scenery was great.

what did you like about the show, otnorot? maybe it will jog my memory if you talk about it a bit.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Laura » Jul 05, 2010 6:25 am

I did watch this a few times in re-run I think.Wow ran for a long time.

It is running on VisionTV , my sister told me.
Laura

Postby Katherine » Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am

I keep waiting for Lizzie to pipe up...Gibsons is not too far from where she is, I believe. Sunshine Coast. Beaches and blue mountains on either side of the Straights between Vancouver Island and the Coast Range. One of the most beautiful places in the world, only.

Wasnt the coffee shop called Molly's Reach? And a woman running it who reminded me of every older woman I wanted to be, if ever I was going to actually be one? And one of the first tv programs in Canada to feature a young Indian man in a supporting role? And he was smart, happy and principled?

The old guy who played Retallick, crusty, bald, scheming, was Robert someone, a great Canadian actor, and who didnt love Bruno Gerussi, in that role, always a foil for Retallick dastardly plans. Which usually involved stealing logs. Roaring off in his lowslung seiner outfitted to comb logs which were then sold at the mill, and the mill itself i dont think was ever actually featured in the show.

And there was a Mountie, and I believe a young girl whos aunt was the cafe lady. None of them were exactly close family, but they all seemed to be together out there on the glinting shore. Boats, docks, engines, floatplanes, weather.....all Canuck stuff. It was great.

kat
Katherine

Postby orchidguy » Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am

I certainly remember The Beachcombers, and was a staple for our viewing lineup when I was a kid. Of course, we only had 2 stations to watch, so between The Beachcombers and Adventures in Rainbow Country and lets not forget Mr Dressup, Chez Helene, and The Friendly Giant, that was our Canadian content quota, and enjoyed them all.

Robert Clothier, who played Relic, was in my opinion, one of the most underated Canadian actors of his time, and was a shame that he was always typecast as a somewhat shady character because of his portrayal of Relic (a testiment to his great acting ability).

The cast did not have too many good things to say of Bruno Gerrusi, and they probably had good reason. I met him twice, and was amazed at just how tiny in stature he was. Both times, he was wearing a full length fur coat, which probably accentuated his "shortness". A piece of Canadian cineamatic history (wow, you know you're getting old when...), The Beachcombers, when watched in reruns always take me back to a much more simple time
orchidguy

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence