Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Aggressive skeeters.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Aggressive skeeters.

Postby kelly_m » Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Unfortunately for me, mosquito coils are mostly ineffective. I could be sitting with 5 other people and they are all swarming me. Don't know why but that's the way it is. I douse myself in bug spray, then re douse, then douse again! So in my mind these are well worth the money. I know where I can get them and I k ow where I can get replacements. I have two of the mini lanterns dint now and I figure I may need to replace the butane once.

Still is cheaper than the propane skeeter eliminator thingies!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby davefrombc » Jul 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Coils are pretty much useless here too.. Inside the house , there is the danger of poisoning my fish with the smoke containing pyrethrins, and outside breeze dissipates the smoke. I'll pass on the propane powered ones too.
The electronic bug zapper is about the only thing that has a chance of reducing them. The UV light draws them in and the high voltage grid fries them. There are some models with an added chemical attractant that have had good reviews. I'm going to try one of the less expensive ones, and if it works well, I will add the second.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 07, 2011 4:12 pm

How did the Indians survive the summers?
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 07, 2011 4:51 pm

I'd almost be willing to buy one of those electronic zappers if it meant getting rid of the mosquitoes in my yard, as opposed to attracting even more of them from surrounding areas.

Brenda,
I was going to ask how much coverage the coils give you...is it just for around the table? Have never used them, but at $2, might be worth a shot.

Ron,
Do you think the solution might be to cover ourselves with a layer of mud before going out? :lol:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Jul 07, 2011 5:11 pm

The coils work well, for us, about 8 feet from the table. We set them up about 8 feet apart. We also like the breeze to be blowing the fumes towards us - we don't actually mind the smell!

If the mosquitoes are particularly bad we will light up a 3rd and put it on the lower level of the table or even on the ground underneath the table. Keeps the ankles safe!

We've spent a lot of money over the years on the latest and greatest gadgets, but these coils work for us, and don't break the bank!

We certainly wouldn't use them inside the house though.

The fact that they don't work for others is a shame. They work for us and we'll keep on using them.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Marsher » Jul 07, 2011 7:02 pm

The info above is correct... the "off Clip on" is only available in the US.

Karen works for SC Johnson ( maker of "off" products..... they have a company store at her work and we were hoping they would be offered there, but no such luck.... well... maybe next year....
Located Brantford Ontario Zone 5 B
Marsher

Postby B_BQ » Jul 07, 2011 7:16 pm

We'll be in South Carolina in November, so I'll be sure to look out for the Off clip-on - knowing my luck though it will be the wrong time of the year to try to buy them!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

In the past mosquitos' rarely showed any interest in me but this year they are vicious & with the cycles of rain followed by sunshine it means I get chewed mowing the grass, To heck with doing any trimming. The smartest thing we ever did was when we installed a sunroom 12 years ago. We can sit out there and enjoy the back yard with a cup of coffee & while doing so sneer at the little biters.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 07, 2011 9:25 pm

We have bats in our belfry. :lol:

Actually there are bats living in the siding of our house. They come out every evening to eat the mosquitos......and they do a good job too! Thanks to those bats, there are very few mosquitos around here.

I also make sure there is no breeding grounds for the mosquitos. All the water in the bird baths are refreshed every day, no empty pots or containers with standing water in them. Plus the water barrels have goldfish in them to eat all the mosquito larvae.

CdnChelsea

Postby kelly_m » Jul 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm surprised they still sell the coils since they contain pyrethrins. They are on Canada's banned substance list.

I found this out because the last time I was at the nursery looking for somthing to anihilate the rose chafers with they told me pyrethrins are the most effective method.

Now....I did get sold a product with it in it, but ONLY because I was asked if I had a mosquitoe problem. It's not an on the shelf product...but the women chased me down to give it to me!!LOL

I will not divulge where though! 8)
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence