Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

A day too late

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

A day too late

Postby Ron Evers » Jun 25, 2012 2:28 pm

I was looking @ my peas yesterday & thought I will let them fill out for another day before I pick them. The deer ate all but a handful over night. :x They also ate most of the beet tops & some of the leaves on my yellow beans.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: A day too late

Postby Katherine » Jun 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I hate when that happens. Same thing with my tulips. Just about to bust open and bingo, gone.

I used to work on all three subspecies of deer in their habitat, for years, working in the bush and radiocollaring and following and note taking and writing. I always had to reference all these studies on what they supposedly ate and didnt eat, often based on fistulated deer in pens and after so many years of seeing what they DO actually eat, on the island coast and interior AND in my gardens, Ive come to the conclusions most of the publications were all wet. Deer eat what ever, when ever, and yeah they have some patterns, but the urbanized or tamer ones definetely seek out very tender stuff that WE like to see or eat, the &^%$ers.

k
Katherine

Postby Laura » Jun 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Did the same thing with my strawberries .... waited a day and the birds got them .... *sigh*
Laura

Postby Dumbo » Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Katherine wrote:the &^%$ers.

I think you misspelled buckers. Or is it Staggers? ;)
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Venison on the menu Ron ?
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby OGrubber » Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

What a shame, Ron.
Deer, bunnies, boidies, racoons... gardeners get no respect.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Awww! I decided I didn't want to loose anymore strawberries to the quail so I made a frame and put netting over - it covers my strawberries and blackberries (thornless). Last year the birds got my grapes! For some reason, this year they haven't touched them and they are quite yummy. My husband's new workshop blocks the sun so I didn't think we would get grapes. Do you replace your old strawberry plants every few years? I'm kind of thinking about making raised beds for the strawberries.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Return to Over the Garden Fence