Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

six of one/half dozen...?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: six of one/half dozen...?

Postby Eeyore » Jul 20, 2012 11:59 am

Dumbo wrote:Found some more PDF's on this, but it started going into PAR and Photon-Flux and the colour of the shade cloth... uhg coffee.

Did your eyes start to cross? :lol: Mine would have!

I didn't check the links but my presumptions were that the reflective coating would work better as it would prevent heat buildup better. Similar to window coatings. I guess I'm smarter than I look! :P
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jul 20, 2012 10:43 pm

post your picture!
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 22, 2012 10:51 am

OGrubber, don't forget to tell us if the reflective cloth is better. Should be.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jul 23, 2012 8:15 am

Sorry,
I haven't had a connection since Friday.
I'll check out those links tomorrow when I have a bit more time, thanks....
Should be getting the cloth by the end of the week which means even at the best guestimate we won't be able to put it up until mid to late next week.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Jul 25, 2012 7:34 pm

I'd be curious to know what's growing in that greenhouse and how they are holding up to 50C.

Anyone have a link handy to various temp's versus various veggie yields? Tried searching for one, but came up with nothing.

Though I did read some research about how tomatoes hit peek production between 32 and 35C, then production dies off. They state pollen is no longer produced by the plant or flower once you start going about 40C.

With your new 50C greenhouse, have any info to share about what you are seeing with diff plants? If you want to that is...
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am

Right now I have rosemary, figs and basil in the east end which is the warmest and tomatoes and summer squash in the west end which is cooler by about 5 degrees.

All are in 5 gallon or larger pots. All are doing well with no signs of any stress. There has been no problem with fruit set, however I may need to hand pollinate the squash. I won't know about that for another week or so.

The cucumbers that were in large pots and any seedlings that were still in plug trays haven't fared as well. Water has probably been the biggest issue for the seedlings rather than the heat. I am maintaining a once a day watering regime to prevent high humidity issues. Sadly, it wasn't enough for them - not enough soil vs root mass to maintain adequate moisture.

Although everything in large pots are doing well now, anything could happen at that high a heat. None of these plants are "tropicals" so really susceptible....
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Interesting. I read a few research papers that stated the same thing about tomato flowers and no-pollen at these temps.

I would have to look this up again, but pretty sure these were not heirloom tomato's, but rather the types you will see in the supermarket.

I wonder if the tomato type plays a role?

Yours are all heirloom I gather?
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

Yes, That's all I have - heirlooms.
Tomato type may play a role in this. I'm not overly savvy about hybrids/modern types, so am not sure if they are all or mostly all determinates, but as an observation, the determinates in my collection are refusing to bloom while the indeterminates are blooming and setting fruit [as per normal].
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Aug 10, 2012 12:22 am

Any news/update on this?

Got the new screen installed? Temps dropped? Determinates flowered? If they flowered, did you noticed the temp they came out at?
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Aug 15, 2012 12:19 pm

At first glance it appears as though the inside temps are cooler, but, we've had more cloudy weather with cooler outside temps and I don't have a "control" to compare it with....
The determinates are all well on their way to being compost now. lol
OGrubber

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence