Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Gotta hand it to the bank

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Gotta hand it to the bank

Postby Eeyore » Aug 11, 2012 11:50 pm

They are right on the ball thankfully!

Got a call this afternoon from the VISA security department about some unusual activity on my credit card. This is a credit card that I use only for on-line purchases and very ocassionally when I am out shopping. It seems that someone had managed to get my card number and was having a grand old time shopping up a storm on-line. As I'm talking to her the purchases just kept ringing up! Thankfully they caught it right away and cancelled the card and reversed all the charges.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Gotta hand it to the bank

Postby Dumbo » Aug 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Like my new(ish) red leather pants?

Yeah had that happen to me once, but only cuz I was in the states and traveled a few states to fast for them ringing up some purchases.

Online... I only ever bought something online twice. Don't like.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Aug 12, 2012 2:33 am

I don't like to be alarmist , but are you certain it was Visa called you? I hope they didn't ask for your Visa number or password to verify it. If the caller did, then call Visa at the number you have on your card to make sure it was them who called and verify the card was cancelled. There are scams out there where people get blind calls and are tricked into providing their card number and security code / password. Visa will never ask you for that information over the phone or on their website.. They already have it and do not need you to give it to them.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 12, 2012 7:30 am

Damn scammers, if they would only put as much effort into honest work.

I got a call last week from "Microsoft" telling me I had a problem with my computer. I told him I did not have a computer. Your laptop he said & I denied having one of them either. Sorry he said & hung up.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby davefrombc » Aug 12, 2012 9:53 am

That "call from Microsoft" has been going around Canada and the US , as well as the UK and Australia; likely several other countries.
There are variations on it. they might claim to be a "security centre" or some company that has been getting messages from your computer . They then get their victim to open their control panel and go to the Event Viewer. In there the get you to check a couple of logs that show multiple errors..
There are errors happening in your computer all the time , and each is logged. They are not an indication of a virus or trojan.

When the list of errors come up, they tell their victim they can help repair the errors and clean the computer,and give them a URL to type in to go to their website, where malware will be loaded on to steal any banking and password information they can.
A variation is they ask you to turn control over to them to repair your pc automatically. Same results . Banking and password information stored on the pc is stolen, and other malware is loaded on the pc.

There are errors happening in your computer all the time , and each is logged. They are not an indication of a virus or trojan; but just normal operation.

Microsoft does not monitor your computer for errors or anything else; and will never call you to tell you have a problem.
No other company is going to call you about error reports of any sort either.
If you get a call like that , it is a scam, pure and simple. Hang up on the SOBs.
It's optional just how strong a language you use on them for their scam attempt before you hang up. Personally, I am not polite to them and often tell them to commit a physical impossibility on themselves.

Calls from credit card and bank security centres can be legitimate. I have had such calls a couple of times. They will ask you questions to verify it is you, but they will NEVER ask for your card number, security number( on the back), or your password.
The safest is to thank them for the call and tell them you will call their customer service at the number on your card to clear up any problem there may be.
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Aug 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Dave - I called the number on the back of the card rather than the one that was recorded on my telephone and explained that I had received a call from someone claiming to be VISA security and they verified that they had my card flagged and that they indeed did call. I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to those kinds of calls.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Aug 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Great.. Glad to hear that. I had a couple of friends get the scam calls as well as one here; and I knew of a couple of people got suckered by them. I toss up red flags on the scammers every chance I get.
davefrombc

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 12, 2012 6:02 pm

davefrombc wrote:Great.. Glad to hear that. I had a couple of friends get the scam calls as well as one here; and I knew of a couple of people got suckered by them. I toss up red flags on the scammers every chance I get.

My brother-in-law was visiting last night and he told us he got scammed by that computer virus thing. A popup on his computer told him his computer had a virus so he downloaded the thing that was recommended for it and later finds out he needs to pay for this "program" in order to get rid of the virus. I guess it doesn't take much for some people to get suckered in by this garbage. Like Ron said, why can't these crooks use their brains for something good?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Aug 12, 2012 6:12 pm

I like ordering online - so far so good

However, when we were in Mexico a couple of years ago at the end of the vacation we took a day trip into Cancun and my DH used his credit card a couple of times. When we got back to Canada a couple of days later there was a message on the answering machine to call the credit card company immediately. They'd red-flagged his card. He had told them he would be in Mexico and they noticed immediately that the card was now being used in the UK!!! We were not in the UK.

Buggers! Never let your guard down.

I'm much more cynical than my husband, who tends to believe everyone, and I have to keep reminding him to disbelieve rather than believe!

It's a shame isn't it?

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

B_BQ wrote:I like ordering online - so far so good

However, when we were in Mexico a couple of years ago at the end of the vacation we took a day trip into Cancun and my DH used his credit card a couple of times. When we got back to Canada a couple of days later there was a message on the answering machine to call the credit card company immediately. They'd red-flagged his card. He had told them he would be in Mexico and they noticed immediately that the card was now being used in the UK!!! We were not in the UK.

Buggers! Never let your guard down.

I'm much more cynical than my husband, who tends to believe everyone, and I have to keep reminding him to disbelieve rather than believe!

[color=#804000]It's a shame isn't it?
[/color]

~BBQ

Damn shame though Brenda.

Remember, when your name was your bond.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence