Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm

B_BQ wrote:if and when this dog comes to live with you

heh, "if & when"? Dog came and stayed when i wrote the last reply. Not kidding when I said the door bell rang just as I was typing.

Just came back from buying the flea bag food, treats, bones, brush & bed. Not like I can let it starve.

What's funnier, there is a trail of blood on the floor and carpet. The dog is in heat. Told the wife and kids to start cleaning up blood and to call the vet. Kids said no to cleaning it. I walked away from it, not my problem. Which will be my reaction to anything to do with this thing. Oh well.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Aug 17, 2012 7:29 pm

I have a sneaky feeling it won't be long before she is your dog.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 7:41 pm

did the new dog bed give that away? Yeah ok, i'm talking tough, but still it wasn't right.

Right now everyone either went out to play, or took off. Thing jumped on the couch and is laying there bleeding on it. I'm not bothering with anything. Someone is going to be upset while doing some cleaning. Won't be me.

At least this is a good way to start with all of them realizing that there is a job there and it isn't just there like a cute toy.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Oh no! This is a terrible time for her to come to you. You're going to have to watch over her like a hawk. I'm serious. She cannot be left outside alone at all. You'd be surprised at how high a male dog will jump to get at her. The girls wouldn't be able to control her or male dogs if they happened to meet on a walk.

Once she's finished her heat you'll have to get her spayed. That was always the downside to having a female dog - the heats every 6 months or so.

But once you get her fixed and trained she will be a lovely companion.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Yup. Called vet. Vet said no operation till 2 months after the bleeding has stopped.

They asked if we wanted to come by and buy some diapers. :roll:

heh I never knew they sold doggy diapers for this.

Couch is stained. Wife came back and isn't happy. I chuckled and walked away.
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Aug 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Hopefully a little peroxide will remove most of the stain and not make things worse on the couch. She's a nice looking dog. It may have been the wrong way to get her past you; but they did get her under your rules.. Likely wife knew if they had to get your approval first they'd still be be trying; and it sounds like the dog couldn't wait if she was on the death list. Call her "Pickle". Hopefully she'll become your perfect pickle.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 9:56 pm

yeah. guess that's about right.

Anyhow I'll see how it grows on me, if it does. I'll use this situation somehow, someway.

Maybe I should use this situation to go out and buy a Can-Am Spyder w/o telling her. What she gonna do? Complain I'm spending her inheritance before I kick off?

I'm very very tempted to hit the dealer on Monday and not say a thing to anyone. Then I can look at it all winter long... and not be able to drive it.
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Aug 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Oh Dear, this brings back big memories of my childhood dog, also an acquired waif from another family.

I was 12/13 and I frequented a community park hanging out with a number of neighbourhood kids all summer. A fellow I knew (Arthur), announced one day that he and his entire family were emigrating to Australia for Dad's new job. Things were being put in motion to get gone asap. Arthur was very upset as he had a lovely dog, Spooky, a shepard/collie mix, who followed him everywhere. The dog would have to stay in Canada.

I immediately started working on my parents to be Spooky's new family. Eventually, Mom said ok, bring the dog over to meet her - so we did. As Spooky entered the kitchen, he cocked his leg and peed on our fridge! My Mom was horrified! and I figured that would be it - the gig was up and Mom would say absolutely NO. But, after she got over the shock, she made friends with him, and he did come to live with us within the month. It was a sweet relationship, especially between the dog and Mom, and they were totally tied to each other. It broke our hearts when he died at the age of 12.

The kicker was that the family did not end up being able to emigrate to Australia. This was in the early 1970's and Australia had a form of apartheid not allowing anyone of 'colour' to come into the country. Arthur's parents had adopted several aboriginal children and when the family went to the consulate in Vancouver to get their visas, they were informed that the 3 'black' children could not enter their country. The shock we all felt at this remarkable idea was intense. So, the family told the company they would not take the job, as their children were far more important to them and would not be left behind, as suggested by the consular office.

Arthur did ask for the dog back about 6 months later, but he had bonded with us so well. He understood and let it go. We adored that sweet dog, and we never had another peeing accident again!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Aug 18, 2012 1:02 am

Really? I didn't know AUS was like that, but I do seem to recall race beatings and such from a while ago.

We have everything covered with sheets for now. The rugs, couch, chairs, futon etc. :/

If this would have peed on my fridge like yours did.. dunno... I don't think it would be here right now.
Dumbo

Postby bluewillow » Aug 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I've been enjoying this saga Marc.

Now, have you considered a dog house for the wee lady and has she been named?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence